12-05-2003, 08:47:05
NORTON SYSTEMWORKS 2003 Includes:

NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2003
NORTON UTILITIES
NORTON CLEANSWEEP
NORTON GHOST 2003
GOBACK BY ROXIO

for only $39,95.

Is that a good deal? Or should I get some other anti-virus program and/or firewall? How well does the WinXP firewall work??

Bob
12-05-2003, 09:34:38
I got NAV (?!?!?) 2003 and NPF 2003 for 30 EUR. It's OK

Sir Penguin
12-05-2003, 22:19:06
The only one of those I would use would be the anti-virus, and there are many alternatives which Darkstar will tell you are better than Norton. I use ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) for a firewall. I've never been able to get WinXP firewall, because I haven't read up on how to do it properly (the intuitive way doesn't work).

SP

Darkstar
13-05-2003, 03:09:00
Drekkus, it's crap. See that name? Norton. Tells you up front its crap.

Other then that...

The AV is alright. You probably wouldn't use anything else. Ghost is a great program, but it is for making disk images/copies. Very handy for computer makers and pirates.

GoBack is just another backup. Don't know if it is any good. Haven't heard of anyone that used it.

Cleansweep is just another 'deinstaller and cleaner' isn't it? I've found that all of those things just suck.

I don't recall what's in Utilities anymore. They used to have a few neat things in them for degragging your HD, and doing disk hex edits.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
19-05-2003, 20:20:10
The Norton AV interferes with the smooth operation of your computer. Okay, so do all AV programs, but Norton seems worse than most.

GoBack is terrible - stay clear!

I had CleanSweep once, before I knew what I was doing with a PC, and it was useful, but I graduated from it by learning how a PC, and Windows, actually work.

Sean
19-05-2003, 22:04:38
In what way does Norton AV interfere with the smooth operation of the computer? It doesn’t like some scripts, but is cool with Python :cool:.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
20-05-2003, 17:58:11
I can't begin to tell you the number of times I've read something like this in a FAQ:

"Q: Program [XYZ] crashes on my computer!

A: The most likely cause is Norton Anti-Virus installed on your computer. Either halt Norton AV while you use your program or uninstall it."

Well, actually, I probably could begin to tell you how many times I've seen that (easily over a dozen) which is why the IT dept. here recommends we deinstall it and load McAfee (which isn't great either, but I think I've only come across one conflict while using it).

It's about the only ITD recommendation I willingly follow :)

Darkstar
21-05-2003, 05:41:11
I forget which version of McAffee does NOT work with IE 6. That's the only conflict/problem I can remember. The fix for that is to buy the latest version, which does work with IE. (Of course, the answer is always to buy more of their stuff, isn't it?)

SATAN
27-05-2003, 22:06:19
Originally posted by Sir Penguin
The only one of those I would use would be the anti-virus, and there are many alternatives which Darkstar will tell you are better than Norton. I use ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com) for a firewall. I've never been able to get WinXP firewall, because I haven't read up on how to do it properly (the intuitive way doesn't work).

SP

Ditto on Zonealarm. No trouble in Pandemonium yet.

Well apart from the screaming and torture and lakes of fire and stuff...

Colon
27-05-2003, 22:31:01
Tried Zonealarm once. At first it looked rather cool but I couldn't manage to add Netscape and MSN Messenger to the list of programs allowed to be used. (it always reset the list when I closed the program) Plus, it made my MSN crash when I tried to start it and my PC freeze when I wanted to shut it down.
A friend of mine says he often has to help people who had installed ZoneAlarm and didn't got any internet anymore. The proxy was correct, the port was correct and so was everything else, but nada.