PDA

View Full Version : computer crash :cry:

Drekkus
30-04-2003, 14:59:04
This afternoon I was posting here and playing games. I smelled something, didn't think much of it. But then suddenly the pc just quit, the power went off. Then I became very aware of the smell, something burning, plastic or something. When I tried to restart, it quit again after 2 seconds.

When I opened the case, I couldn't see anything burned, although the CPU felt really hot (but I don't know how hot it gets usually). There was a lot of dust inside, so I cleaned it up. But after waiting for half an hour, I tried to put the power back on, but the only thing was that the coolingfan made a quarter of a turn and stopped, nothing else happened, no lights or sounds.

So anyone any idea what happened? Is it my powersupply or did I somehow fry my cpu?

Funkodrom
30-04-2003, 16:12:16
Sounds like your fan motor might have burnt out.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
30-04-2003, 17:04:16
Had the same with the ventilation going up. I was lucky that the CPU, harddrive etc were intact. Needed a new net-part (what's the word? the electricity thingy with the ventilation).

zmama
30-04-2003, 17:06:39
power supply

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
30-04-2003, 17:19:39
I concur, sounds like the CPU fan. If your system has an AMD CPU, you should check out Tom's Hardware Guide to see their video of what happens to AMD systems when the heat sink is removed. CPU flambe!

Or it could be the power supply. That might explain why the fan motor quit out. If it was the CPU dying, the system should, I think, report an error, provided the dead CPU didn't also completely kill the motherboard too.

Deacon
30-04-2003, 21:08:56
Inspect what you can. Given the recent capicitor scandal, it could also be the board.

Drekkus
06-05-2003, 09:25:07
Well, apparantly it was the motherboard. Damn those cheap ass ECS boards. ;)

So now I have bought myself a new Epox 8RDA+ board and a new processor as well, an AMD 2200+. Too bad I probably have to wait until next month to buy my new TFT screen. :(

Drekkus
06-05-2003, 09:26:29
Oh, and does installing a new motherboard mean you must install windows again? Can I keep my documents and stuff on the harddrive, or will they be lost?

Bob
06-05-2003, 09:43:37
You start to sound like a real geek

Bob
06-05-2003, 09:45:13
Originally posted by Dyl Ulenspiegel
(what's the word? the electricity thingy with the ventilation). Sid Meier's Transformization

Deacon
06-05-2003, 09:52:19
If you can boot to your existing installation, then you'd only need to install whatever drivers are required by the new motherboard. If Windows freaks out (won't let you reach a usable state), maybe you could try running the Windows installer from a boot disk. I don't think the install will wipe your files, or that would make it impossible to install Windows from the hard drive. Of course this is a theory, so always keep backups.

Scabrous Birdseed
06-05-2003, 09:58:59
If you can unproblematically move a hard drive from PC to PC, which I've done loadsa times, why would installing a new motherboard caouse any problems? Nah, no prob, just set up your MoFo and let 'er rip.

Drekkus
06-05-2003, 11:12:57
Originally posted by Bob
You start to sound like a real geek
I know :cry:

A friend of mine tried to install the hard drive from the crashed pc (windows XP) into my 'back up' pc (win2000). Something went very wrong and after a while the pc didn't recognize either drive. :bash: He managed to get the back up running again, without the XP drive though.
So now I'm a bit nervous how the installation will go. My g/f's endpaper is on the hardrive, so I need to be sure I won't erase it.

Beta1
06-05-2003, 11:41:57
let me guess, she hasn't backed it up either.....

Drekkus
06-05-2003, 12:15:50
She has most chapters backed up in some version or other. I asked her to email her stuff to me occasionally, just in case something like this might happen. But she hasn't got it all backed up/emailed, so she might have lose some last versions, which sucks because they are mostly partial enhancements, which you can't remember where exactely you made them.

zmama
06-05-2003, 13:32:02
Congrats on the new motherboard! A fine choice made by the worlds most discriminating and cheap geeks (like me);)

As to the transfer...what Deacon said...

Bob
06-05-2003, 13:35:58
Nobody loves me but my motherboard

zmama
06-05-2003, 14:17:09
Awwww, but everybody loves Bob!

Drekkus
08-05-2003, 10:46:40
Damndamndamndamn.

Got the new motherboard and processor installed. After a lot of errors and shutdowns finally managed to install XP. Luckily I only needed to format the C: partition, while all the documents were on the D: partition. So far it was all fine.
But a friend of mine made some changes in the Bios, and on start up it showed my processor as a Amd 2400+, while it's a 2200+. So I set the settings lower, but then it said 1500+ and some 'to continue press F1' message. And since i don't want to press extra keys when starting up, I decided to set the settings back as they were. Or so I thought. After changing the bios and starting up again all I got was some siren sound, which I could only stop by pulling the electric cord. So I need to change the bios again, but I can't acces it! :(

Hopefully the motherboard manual will give some relief, but I left it at my friends place where we put together the pc. No clue how to acces the bios otherwise.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-05-2003, 10:50:13
You should be able to set the processor speed using jumpers instead of the BIOS. RTFM.

Drekkus
08-05-2003, 10:58:13
First thing this evening.

Scabrous Birdseed
08-05-2003, 11:09:02
In fact, I believe something like this happened to me too once, but that time I was trying to intentionally overclock my CPU to a speed my RAM couldn't handle. IIRC I solved it by changing the relevant jumpers on the motherboard to the "correct" setting, booting, putting it back on BIOS control and then picking a more appropriate overclock speed (450 on a 400)

zmama
08-05-2003, 15:50:27
On that particular motherboard try the "optimal" setting on the motherboard, works quite well. That is, once you can get to the bios.
And what kind of friend messes with your bios? Overclocking is fun but it isn't for the clueless (no insult intended) :)

Sir Penguin
08-05-2003, 21:52:58
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
You should be able to set the processor speed using jumpers instead of the BIOS. RTFM.

Jum... pers? :confused:

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
09-05-2003, 03:32:40
To start, I'd set the "clear CMOS" jumper. Just to be sure.

Sir Penguin
09-05-2003, 03:43:30
Ah, you mean those things that are kind of like swip ditches (sp?).

SP

Scabrous Birdseed
09-05-2003, 11:04:34
Own goal. No, a jumper is a little plastic-and-metal thingy that you use to connect two pins to each other. The pattern you lay them out in can control stuff like if a device is master or slave (if the jumpers are on the device) or how fast your processor will clock (if they're on your MB).

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
09-05-2003, 19:43:53
Or, if you live in the US, it's a dress little girls wear.

Or, in more civilized countries, it's analogous to "sweater".

Imagine the mirth that ensued when I announced to my U.S. wife I intended to wear a jumper. Oh, the laughs we have.

BigGameHunter
09-05-2003, 20:20:32
I'm sure you'd look cute in a jumper, regardless of the style.

BigGameHunter
09-05-2003, 20:21:38
Oh, and your "friend" sounds like he's really screwing up your situation, Drekkus. You might have to defer to a professional now, especially since somebody's thesis seems to be at stake.
But it's probably too late now anyway.

Sir Penguin
09-05-2003, 20:36:03
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Own goal. No, a jumper is a little plastic-and-metal thingy that you use to connect two pins to each other. The pattern you lay them out in can control stuff like if a device is master or slave (if the jumpers are on the device) or how fast your processor will clock (if they're on your MB).

So, like swip ditches.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
10-05-2003, 00:12:13
I'd correct your spelling, but no-one with a brain mis-spells "dip switches" like that and isn't attempting a 100-0.

I'm not so sure about the jumper thing, BGH. I'm not convinced my hairy legs are that appealing (to anyone but the missus).

Sir Penguin
10-05-2003, 00:41:15
Is that what they're called? I haven't seen a dip switch since before I learned to speak English well.* :)

*technically a lie

SP

BigGameHunter
10-05-2003, 01:29:05
You mean "since I've learned Earthling," right?

Sir Penguin
10-05-2003, 03:39:38
No, that would be stupid. There's more than one language on your planet. Honestly, sometimes I think Americans deserve to be discombobulated.

SP

Drekkus
10-05-2003, 21:27:49
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Oh, and your "friend" sounds like he's really screwing up your situation, Drekkus. You might have to defer to a professional now, especially since somebody's thesis seems to be at stake.
But it's probably too late now anyway. Well, all is well by now. I reset the cmos jumper or whatever it was, worked fine. Now it's running great, pretty fast. Since all the documents were on the D partition, they were all saved. Only thing I have to figure out now is how I get Outlook to recognize my login and password again. And I have to install all the games again. And to figure out what programs I need to download (viewers, writers, etc.)

Funkodrom
12-05-2003, 09:43:17
Originally posted by Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
Or, if you live in the US, it's a dress little girls wear.

Or, in more civilized countries, it's analogous to "sweater".

Imagine the mirth that ensued when I announced to my U.S. wife I intended to wear a jumper. Oh, the laughs we have.

Really? I didn't know that.

Nearly as good as the confusion that ensues when you mention pumps. In the UK shoes you wear for school sports when you are young. In the US high heeled womens shoes.

Sir Penguin
12-05-2003, 22:13:03
High heeled womens' shoes? :confused:

To me, 'pumps' means those running shoes that were popular a long time ago, which you could pump up with air.

SP

Deacon
13-05-2003, 06:28:57
I call them high heels. Or impractical shoes. :)

MDA
13-05-2003, 15:49:50
"pants" is considered "trousers" or "slacks" in the US. My wife learned the other meaning very quickly on her year abroad. :)