PDA

View Full Version : Saw the White Stripes on Conan O'Brien

BigGameHunter
29-04-2003, 15:11:08
Very odd how they get the music to come off with only two people playing. The drummer girl was a dog--sort of bloated and pasty--and the front man (I don't know their names...uh...White?) was fairly impressive.
But I've always been a bit uncomfortable with musicians antics on stage--it's as if they are in an interpretive dance or are "acting like they're into it/different/overcome by the music" which annoys the shit out of me because I know for the most part they aren't.
Give me Frank Black stepping up to the mic and playing his ass off without jumping around or making little clever chitchatty remarks or burning something, etc. and then saying "Good night" after pounding you into submission with pure music for 3 1/2 hours over this googly eyed leaping freakshow any day.

I guess if you aren't really superior musically, you have to put some moves into the performance?
Probably why my bands never got much of a reaction--that and we were light years ahead of what anyone could fully comprehend at the time. :cute:

Do you need Cirque de Solei (sp?) with your music, or do you prefer the old "lean and play" style?

I'm not counting people like Jimmy Cliff and Toots Hibbert, who are front men only and whose styles of music lend them to exhorting the crowd to jump and dance, etc....just the rockers. I guess a distinction should be made if you're talking about someone who does or does not play an instrument while singing as well....

Oh hell....

Funkodrom
29-04-2003, 15:14:40
Haven't seen them live but some of their songs are pretty good. Don't like the new single much.

King_Ghidra
29-04-2003, 15:20:30
when i saw them at glastonbury i don't remember any 'moves' as such, just a girl (Meg) banging away at a drum kit like a child with a new toy and a guy (Jack) who could play guitar like the devil himself.

I think they're brilliant and i love the new single and the album.

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-04-2003, 16:12:44
Take a look at photos of Meg. I'm convinced she's a borderline case of Downs Syndrome.

King_Ghidra
29-04-2003, 16:17:53
that is sooooo cruel :lol:

BigGameHunter
29-04-2003, 16:24:31
Yeah...she was pretty heinous. They both wore tight blood red body suits. Hers wasn't very flattering.

But no one has responded to the inherent question in my post--do you prefer the singer/guitar player to jump around in what I consider a forced enthusiasm, or do you prefer the head bobbing rocker, a la the Ramones?
When I see Mick Jagger or Stephen Tyler twirling their mic stands and shaking their asses I want to go up and slap them silly.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-04-2003, 16:28:02
I'm probably more of an anthics man myself, but it's gotta be done with certainty and self-confidence. Nothing worse than timid antics.

Scabrous Birdseed
29-04-2003, 16:29:27
I like Meg White. :(

Lazarus and the Gimp
29-04-2003, 16:45:20
If it's done right, I like some good shapes thrown. Julian Cope is brilliant at it. Last time I saw him he kept diving into the audience to hug people.

Asher
29-04-2003, 19:59:34
Their performance on Conan was absolutely fucking terrible.

I was quite fond of Seven Nation Army or whatever it was, but the song they played was so incredibly crappy...

And his antics were rather trite.

Debaser
29-04-2003, 20:36:52
They played Jolene, a Dolly Parton cover. All reports seem to indicate that it wasn't a good performance by their standards.

My opinion on frontmen/guitarists jumping around? I believe that there genuinly is a fine line between clever and stupid. Some do it well (I thought the White Stripes were great when I saw them in Brighton), some do it badly (that guy from The Vines can seem a little over the top at times).

Provost Harrison
30-04-2003, 18:13:09
Conan the Barbarian?

paiktis22
30-04-2003, 18:27:21
HAYA Provost, how are you doing? :beer:

[/end threadjack ]:coolgrin:

Provost Harrison
30-04-2003, 18:30:01
I'm fine, you should visit CGN, I hang around a lot there.

www.civgaming.net

(shameless advertising too :D)

paiktis22
30-04-2003, 18:31:33
When did you hang out with Markos? :lol: ;)(and picked up the advertisement habbit :D)

Asher
03-05-2003, 08:12:09
I bought Elephant today...

I have mixed emotions after two consecutive listens now.

Seven Nation Army is by far the best song on it, IMO.

I also quite like Track 5 (In the Cold, Cold Night) and Track 2 (Black Math) too, but the others don't make me come back wanting more.

Do you think they'll grow on me?

Which ones do you guys like?

Scabrous Birdseed
03-05-2003, 10:14:09
My favourites are probably Black Math, the Dusty Springfield cover ("I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself") and "You've Got Her in Your Pocket". I think the first half of the album is nearly consistently better than the second.

Lazarus and the Gimp
03-05-2003, 10:21:55
Not buying it. Don't think much of them.

Koshko
04-05-2003, 06:47:02
Well I rather like the newest single "The hardest button to button" or something like that, but "seven nation army" is pretty annoying now. They were on Conan 4 straight days.

If you want to see what only 2 members can do, pick up stuff by Local H. They can seriously rock.

Asher
06-05-2003, 02:57:05
Update:

Tracks 6 (I Want to Be the Boy...) and 7 (You've Got Her In Your...) are kickass.

Debaser
14-05-2003, 12:29:27
I've had Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine on repeat play for about the last hour or so. I could well be my new favourite song.

King_Ghidra
14-05-2003, 12:47:23
i seriously enoyed air guitaring to that at the AD on friday night

Funkodrom
14-05-2003, 12:51:18
I wish the AD didn't play so much garage rock it's just depressing on alternative night now. :(

Debaser
14-05-2003, 13:26:38
Fuck off! It's the best it's been for ages.

Why don't you go to little kiddie rock night at the Fez or something, if that's what you'd prefer.

Funkodrom
14-05-2003, 13:32:47
Because it's not on at the weekend. There was one song I wanted to dance too on Friday, used to be stuff all night. :(

Funkodrom
14-05-2003, 13:36:21
Anyway what I'm really complaining about is the loss of the variety you used to get.

Debaser
14-05-2003, 13:38:19
You're just gutted because they don't play Rock Cliche anymore.

Funkodrom
14-05-2003, 13:46:40
Yeah, I asked them not to. I find it really embarassing hearing it there now.

protein
14-05-2003, 16:47:00
The White Shites are so overrated. The mong girl can't play drums to save her life, the singer is desperately trying to sound like Black Francis/Frank Black and there is a huge gaping hole in their music where the bass should be. If it was just drums, bass and whining that would be ok because you have the full range of frequencies there but drums guitar and whining just sounds awful. I always listen and think 'when is it going to kick in?'

Maybe if it wasn't presented as rock and was done with acoustic guitars and a tamborine in a church then it would work.

Debaser
14-05-2003, 17:04:51
Originally posted by protein
Maybe if it wasn't presented as rock and was done with acoustic guitars and a tamborine in a church then it would work.

Maybe if your post wasn't presented as a musically narrowminded, arrogant insult then it would work. So you'd prefer their tunes if they got a bass player and some dumb L.A. session drummer in huh? Well fair enough, but why all the insults and the stupid church reference? If you don't like it don't listen to it. Simple.

Hmm, I seemed to get a little too worked up about that.

protein
14-05-2003, 20:53:41
I think it is maybe the way it is recorded and presented as rock that makes it sound wrong to me. If they were recorded like the Velvet Underground and didn't have so much high quality turd polishing done to their sound it would be quaint and quite listenable but to me they sound like a brother and sister pretending to be the Pixies and not being very good. The thing that really pisses me off is people whose opinion I usually respect saying that it is revolutionary musical genius. It's like everyone going around and saying Toploader are the best band since the Beatles and only I can see that they are wrong.

They look cool though I guess.

Fair play for the brother being an equal opportunities employer too. :lol:

protein
14-05-2003, 20:55:23
I'M RIGHT! IT'S THE WHOLE WORLD THAT'S WRONG AAAARRGH!

Debaser
14-05-2003, 23:22:08
I don't see the Pixies similarity at all. I don't quite understand what you mean by "high quality turd polishing" either. As far as I understand they recorded, mixed, and wrote a third of their album in 10 days. That's hardly Guns and Roses 10yrs in the studio style behavior. I also don't remember anyone claiming what they do is "revolutionary musical genius". As I see it, they play bluesy garage rock in a fairly interesting and original way. What counts is that the songs are good.

And Toploader ARE the band the Beatles could have been!!!

Funkodrom
15-05-2003, 08:27:06
I think the White Stripes have got some good songs and some average songs. None of them (that I've heard) really do anything for me emotionally. I think they are massively overhyped but then I thought that about The Strokes, some OK tunes, a lot of others that sound the same as the OK ones. As the hype built and built for them it put me off them more and more.

Neither of them are shit like The Coral though. ;) Actually I'm starting to like that Coral song they played at the AD the other day, it still sounds like a sea shanty but I don't hate it any more.

King_Ghidra
15-05-2003, 08:28:40
I agree with debaser, i always saw the white stripes as a blues band rather than a indie type band. I don't think jack white gives a flying fuck about frank black i think he would rather be howling wolf or someone.

And why is it always the people who are in proper bands and play proper instruments that are so desperate to see them with a bass player, can't you think outside the box for a few minutes?

Funkodrom
15-05-2003, 12:28:49
It doesn't really bother me.

What do you think of that Elephant song where they added the second guitar octaved to bass frequencies?

Debaser
15-05-2003, 12:41:01
It's good, though it isn't the first time they've done that.

Funkodrom
15-05-2003, 12:45:52
I actually like that song less than the other singles I've heard because it sounds less distinctive.