PDA

View Full Version : laptop problem

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-04-2003, 06:12:42
My laptop has reset its screen resolution to 640x480 from I think 800x600. Oddt thing is, I didn't change anything (just closed and then started today). And it does not let me reset to a higher resolution.

I remember that it was a bit of a hazzle to get the higher resolution in the 1st place, but have no clue what was required.

Anyidea what happened, and how to reset it?

Sir Penguin
24-04-2003, 06:13:39
Try reinstalling your video drivers.

SP

Darkstar
24-04-2003, 06:17:48
Sounds like that should fix your problem. Reinstall your drivers (reboot if necessary) and then swap your video mode via desktop/display preferences.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-04-2003, 06:37:57
Windoze tells me the best driver is installed when I run the windoze installation CD or the notebook utilities CD. When I chose the list, there's only a low resolution one.

Any idea which driver I have to look for?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-04-2003, 07:10:41
Ok, I reinstalled from the harddrive and it works now.

Just wtf happened?

Darkstar
24-04-2003, 07:25:45
Something got upset. An update caused it to bump out the old one, for some reason, or caused it to update a dll your old driver used, causing it to stop using the driver until you reinstalled it, etc.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-04-2003, 08:01:58
The odd thing is, I did nothing. Closed it down yesterday, and upon starting today, it didn't work. Who or what would start an "update"?

Also, I installed the same driver, the same dll that's in windows/system.

Darkstar
24-04-2003, 08:18:56
Well, other things that might screw it up... it could have screwed up its saving your settings out. There are a few ways this can happen that I can think of. Since Windows uses those settings when you next log in... if your display info 'got lost' it would default to a VGA mode using a plain VGA driver.

Other then that, I really cannot think of what else could have trashed out or changed your settings. Maybe someone else knows?

Dyl Ulenspiegel
24-04-2003, 08:26:56
" if your display info 'got lost' it would default to a VGA mode using a plain VGA driver."

I could understand that. I just don't understand that it showed the neomagic128 something driver that is required for the higher resolution as the active one.

It's one of those windoze mysteries. Maybe Asher, highpriest of Bill Gates, knows?

Sir Penguin
24-04-2003, 10:10:56
It's the price you pay for not having to use X11 or MacOS.

SP

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
24-04-2003, 17:15:06
During my 8 or so years of working with Windows, I've noticed that it changes settings on a whim occasionally. The worst example of this has been with Outlook 2000. It continually switches Organizational option on and off seemingly at random. Sure keeps me on my toes!

Darkstar
25-04-2003, 20:34:19
Qaj, do you mean your home or work Outlook settings? I'm wondering if your work machine might not have some form of registry/policy/make all workstations identical being pushed down on it.

Dyl Ulenspiegel
25-04-2003, 20:40:57
What I've seen before is the mysterious disappearing of dll files. Just that in this case, it was still there.

But then, what would windoze be without the mystery and suspense?

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-04-2003, 21:58:39
DS, nah. It's the work machine, and our IT loves their new Altiris "Push Technology" server/manager thing. But I know it's not their policies their pushing over the network - if we wanted that kind of support, they'd be charging us for it. I've seen the budget (in fact, I was asked to review our IT budget and cut as much of it as I tought we could do without) and it's not there.

The options that keep self-activating are the organization options, and mostly it's the stupid "Make the subject turn blue when I recieve an email with only myself in the 'To:' field". Nothing amazing, but REALLY annoying, esp. when it decides to turn off my more useful organization settings (like, autofile emails into specific folders). Couple that with the fact that we lose our email service at least twice a week until IT fixes it, and you can probably guess that our current Outlook service leaves a lot to be desired.

Darkstar
25-04-2003, 22:07:34
Wow. Humm... it is probably the loss of the service that is somehow at the root of that problem. Just a wild guess, but I dimly recall reading something similar back when I was digging into an MS Outlook issue for a project a few years ago.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-04-2003, 22:21:59
Probably. The only way we're going to fix it is for our department to start up an IS division internally. We're kind of looking forward to that, if it happens. Budget problems prevent it right now *sigh*

Darkstar
25-04-2003, 22:24:45
Well, there is one way to get around a wiggy server... swap over to POP. You lose a few Outlook supported features (shared calender, shared address book, etc) , but you won't get hung out to dry or have the server take down and crash your Outlook/OS when it goes down.

Qaj the Fuzzy Love Worm
25-04-2003, 23:36:04
We're actually increasing the amount of calendar access we're doing here :) Things like booking rooms, access to manager's calendars etc. So that rules out that solution :)

The ultimate solution would be to get rid of IT and replace them with competent people.

:D

Darkstar
26-04-2003, 05:59:44
Like that's ever going to happen!

Microsoft has a new answer for outlook coming along anyway. At least for the shared email book, shared calendars, etc. Or so I keep hearing on the grapevine.