PDA

View Full Version : I have a confession to make

Sean
23-04-2003, 23:46:19
I got an illegal copy of Sen to Chihiro no Kamakakuchi (Spirited Away).

In my defence, the distribution companies have fucked up royally and it’s quite possibly it might not be release in cinemas over here. That would be a great shame, because this is an incredible film. I feel a bit uncomfortable saying that, because I have only watched it one and a half times and have yet to sleep on it, but there are so many good things, like…
…it’s incredibly inventive.
…despite being less technically impressive than, say, Treasure Planet, it has incredible visual richness and attention to detail.
…the sound effects and soundtrack are top-class.
…it’s as, if not more, moving than the Toy Story films, The Iron Giant, or Mononoke Hime.
…it reminded me a bit of The Bridge by Iain Banks.
…Miyazaki’s made a strong claim with this to be considered along with Kurosawa.
…as you’d expect from Miyazaki, even though he was allegedly trying to make a film for pre-teen girls, he’s actually made a film for everyone.

In summation, see it if at all possible.

GP
24-04-2003, 04:15:42
Do you steal at the store also?

Sean
24-04-2003, 11:38:25
Is that supposed to be a troll?

maroule
24-04-2003, 11:41:03
Spirited away is indeed wonderful

Have you seen Porco Rosso?

GP
24-04-2003, 14:58:26
Originally posted by Sean
Is that supposed to be a troll?

1/3 troll. 1/3 serious. 1/3 humor to mask seriousness.

Sean
24-04-2003, 19:42:36
Originally posted by maroule
Spirited away is indeed wonderful

Have you seen Porco Rosso?
What? France got it and we didn’t?! Right, fuck that ‘special relationship’, if Disney and Pathe can combine to prevent Brits from seeing it.

No, I haven’t, but I have yet to see a bad film by Miyazaki. In fairness, I have only seen three (this, Princess Mononoke, and Laputa, which I first saw when I was still a child. Loved it then).

I just took a quick look for the Porco Rosso DVD, trying the several possible titles, with no success :(.

GP: OK, well, no. I will pay money to see this at some point, though, even if I do have to wait for a DVD release.

GP
24-04-2003, 20:00:03
I love that rationale. Taking something without permission is not stealing because I'm planning on paying for it later. Didn't work too good for Winona...:cry:

maroule
24-04-2003, 20:22:44
Originally posted by Sean
What? France got it and we didn’t?! Right, fuck that ‘special relationship’, if Disney and Pathe can combine to prevent Brits from seeing it.

I just took a quick look for the Porco Rosso DVD, trying the several possible titles, with no success :(.

yes, we got it about 6 months ago, it was a genuine success here

and a link for porco rosso
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/porco/

Sean
24-04-2003, 20:51:39
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.2670/qx/details.htm hooray! Now all I need is money.

maroule
25-04-2003, 06:54:31
cool! get it!
bear in mind it's very different to an 'oniric' Miyazaki like spirited away, much less dense, but extremely endearing and poetic all the same

King_Ghidra
25-04-2003, 08:10:48
'oniric'??

King_Ghidra
21-12-2006, 09:21:39
I still need 'oniric' explained, but anyway, for what it's worth, i finally got round to seeing 'My neighbour Totoro' the other week and i thought it was wonderful. Cute, sad, in fact it made me cry a little bit, because i'm gay.

Still got a couple of others on the sky+ box, hopefully take them in over xmas.

Debaser
21-12-2006, 09:50:57
I've seen Spirited Away loads of times, and I don't think I really understand it at all.

Mr. Bas
21-12-2006, 10:12:10
I thought Sean was back. Damn.

maroule
21-12-2006, 10:17:35
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
'oniric'??

and now, three years later, I'll answer KG: "oniric" as in a made up translation for "onirique" ( = "that looks like it's happening in a dream", typically like Alice in Wonderland)

King_Ghidra
21-12-2006, 11:06:46
'surreal' would do, eh?

maroule
21-12-2006, 11:17:01
to me, it's too broad a term, when "onirique" refers specifically to the ways dreams are; absurd but not completely, with quick and nonsensical transitions from one thing to another, with an eerie feeling, etc

so everything onirique is surreal, but all things surreal are not necessarily oniriques (dali is surreal and onirique, but dadaism is just surreal)

King_Ghidra
21-12-2006, 11:25:03
well the co-opting of the word surreal by the surrealist movement is another issue, but in the strict sense of the term, surreal means quite specifically dream-like

anyway, onirique is good, i shall use it in future to cement my pretentiousness with english speakers

Fistandantilus
21-12-2006, 12:01:38
'onirico' and 'surreale' in italian are quite different, and maroule is spot on about the differences. I'm surprised there isn't an equivalent in english. A quick search gave me 'oneiric' but I guess nobody use it.