PDA

View Full Version : Listen Without Predjudice 4 - Part 3!

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 13:57:36
http://www.counterglow.com/article.php?id=review_lwp4_3

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 13:59:32
Well that's retarded! No link to page 2. I'll tell Nav, in the meantime it works once you get past that page. Use the link below.

http://www.counterglow.com/article.php?id=review_lwp4_3&page=2

Debaser
17-04-2003, 14:23:12
Hmm, my guesswork was really shit.

Good article again though.

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 14:27:06
Your slating of Shakey for Laz's track is my favourite bit.

Now I know why the 80's matchbox beeline disaster track sounded better on the video, different song!!!

Debaser
17-04-2003, 14:30:47
Funny how both me and Rob like that song best, I'd wouldn't have had it down as his sort of thing.

*hums*My dad's bigger than your dad SING IT!

Debaser
17-04-2003, 14:33:43
KG, is that song from the album 'Mclusky Do Dallas'?

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 14:35:32
Featuring Debbie?

Debaser
17-04-2003, 14:40:54
Maybe??

Other track titles include:-
The World Loves Us and Is Our Bitch and Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues. Sounds good.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 15:17:27
I'm pretty sure he doesn't care if I think´his music is too white. Mainly 'cause he's dead.

King_Ghidra
17-04-2003, 15:25:18
Originally posted by Debaser
KG, is that song from the album 'Mclusky Do Dallas'?

yes i believe so, i have the 'lightsabre cocksucking blues track' and it not not on a par with 'to hell with good intentions' in terms of quality

King_Ghidra
17-04-2003, 15:29:45
wtf is with all the question marks where there should be apostrophes?

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 15:30:27
Right, I've read it all now. Good stuff. Funko, how could you guess me for track 18?

Debaser
17-04-2003, 15:30:54
I've now listened to all the samples available on Amazon and I'm inclined to agree with you.

BigGameHunter
17-04-2003, 15:40:42
Damn, my love of contractions really made it hard reading.
Good stuff...
Still disturbed by the European disdain for good old fashioned punk and indie type music.
However, I'm allowing that maybe you guys are just waaaaay cooler and more musically evolved and I just haven't caught up yet.
;)

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 15:46:23
No disdain for good punk or indie music. :D

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 15:47:18
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
Right, I've read it all now. Good stuff. Funko, how could you guess me for track 18?

I thought it was really shit so it was a natural logical leap.

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 15:48:17
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
wtf is with all the question marks where there should be apostrophes?

I have no idea. They were apostrophes when I put them in there!!!

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 15:53:14
So anyway, I liked this section. Or at least the second half of it. Plus it improved my predictability stats somewhat, seing as I didn't have any tracks in there.

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 15:58:21
Hip Hop: Do they have to be black and not born in the US for you to like them?

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 16:11:39
Nah, I really only have one requirement: a wicked, hard groove. I don't like the mellowed-out stuff, it negates the entire point of what originally was (and increasingly again is becoming) a heavily driven dancefloor sound.

Funkodrom
17-04-2003, 16:13:20
Sometimes you can just listen to music.

*End Is Forever*
17-04-2003, 16:14:20
I notice that everyone who hated Laz's song guessed Shaker. A hint there Ric? :lol:

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 16:18:30
Originally posted by Funkodrom
Sometimes you can just listen to music while stoned out of your head.

You know I don't do that kind of thing.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 16:21:27
Ah well. Anyway, I've got something lined up for LWP5 that might surprise you.

The Shaker
17-04-2003, 16:24:17
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
I notice that everyone who hated Laz's song guessed Shaker. A hint there Ric? :lol:

That everyone hates me :(

:cry:

Sean
17-04-2003, 16:25:09
Funkodrom, why did you embolden Corpus Christi Hymn, when both Debaser and I got the title right?

The Shaker
17-04-2003, 16:25:38
Probably also due to the fact I only had one song on CD1 and everyone would have expected one of this lot to be mine.
But more likely that everyone hates me.

Sean
17-04-2003, 16:33:59
The Shaker

Guess someone trying to piss us off. Sean? Right, but wrong track.

The Shaker
17-04-2003, 16:39:16
half a point then :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-04-2003, 16:39:20
Dear LWP4 participants.

Re- Your guesses for the first track in that selection.

You fuckers.

Gimp.

The Shaker
17-04-2003, 16:41:28
He he he.

Sean
17-04-2003, 16:43:13
:lol: I just noticed that, too.

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-04-2003, 16:45:40
Originally posted by BigGameHunter

Still disturbed by the European disdain for good old fashioned punk and indie type music.
However, I'm allowing that maybe you guys are just waaaaay cooler and more musically evolved and I just haven't caught up yet.
;)

Nah. We've just got a couple of participants who only contribute punk stuff (with the occasional token gesture, Provost) and slate nearly everything else that doesn't fit those genres.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 16:53:35
Dear Gimp.

Re- Your guess for the first track in that selection.

You fucker.

Scabby.

BigGameHunter
17-04-2003, 16:53:55
Ah...I guess I'm not as "critical" when it comes to judging music...I don't tend to go in with a bias toward a genre (even though there are several I don't like) when I'm doing a review. I try and take it in the context it is in and the audience it is meant for. While I don't generally like speedcore, etc, I know a good solid song of the type when I hear it.
The "indie" thing, however, really stumps me...I'd have thought that was still relatively well received over there, so I'm left wondering if this particular group of listeners has had their fill, or if it is a general trend?
But then I think about the glowing praise for a tv soundtrack and the relative accolades afforded to the Corpus Christi number, and think "WTF? I'd NEVER listen to this crap casually!"
It tends to make me think you heap praise on such songs just because they are different and that makes you clever or something...I don't mean to be insulting, but good is good (not always great, granted) and clever is not necessarily good.
Follow?

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-04-2003, 17:05:32
Dear Gimp.

Re- Your guess for the first track in that selection.

You fucker.

Scabby.

I never actually thought you'd submitted it, but I guessed it would piss you off.

The Shaker
17-04-2003, 17:05:34
Well that is to some extent true of me.
It's the listening to stuff that i'd never ever listen to of my own accord that I like here. If it's somethnig i've heard a million times before it's less likely to get a good response. If i wanted to listen to that i'd listen to the bands that I already like from that genre (though if i find summit really good then it'll be worth it).
As for the punk thing, I think that having been subjected to lots of terrible examples of it my brain cannot accept that there can ever be anything good there :)

Lazarus and the Gimp
17-04-2003, 17:07:43
Ah...I guess I'm not as "critical" when it comes to judging music...I don't tend to go in with a bias toward a genre (even though there are several I don't like) when I'm doing a review. I try and take it in the context it is in and the audience it is meant for. While I don't generally like speedcore, etc, I know a good solid song of the type when I hear it.
The "indie" thing, however, really stumps me...I'd have thought that was still relatively well received over there, so I'm left wondering if this particular group of listeners has had their fill, or if it is a general trend?
But then I think about the glowing praise for a tv soundtrack and the relative accolades afforded to the Corpus Christi number, and think "WTF? I'd NEVER listen to this crap casually!"
It tends to make me think you heap praise on such songs just because they are different and that makes you clever or something...I don't mean to be insulting, but good is good (not always great, granted) and clever is not necessarily good.
Follow?

I'm not biased against any genre (OK- except Acid Jazz). It's just that I've thought the punk stuff submitted so far has been crap.

I was, and am, an unashamed Indie kid (old git) myself.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 18:01:03
I on my hand don't care what audience it was meant for- I just go for what appeals to me. I don't try to be "eclectic" and "trendy" and "understanding" and "appreciative of a record's social/historical importance", I just pick up on what, with my ears, sounds good. As such, the vast majority of Alternative and Indie seems to be a combination of ironic kitch, formulaic soundalike "warm" production and total absence of all the fun, slightly juvenile raunch of Rock 'n' Roll. Plus it's really crap on the dance floor, which is the key distinguisher for me.

Plus, of course, it's supremely unoriginal, which I think is important as well. The entire 90s seemed to consist of idiots ripping off each others sounds, songs and production, never daring or being able to reach outside their little horrible pop-rock fold. Take Post-Grunge (ie. all the "Alternative" music since Cobain died): It's a genre that defines itself through really inexpertly trying to replicate the soundscape of a movement where it was the songs, not the aesthetic, that mattered anyway. If I hear another fucker doing that idiotic "quiet-LOUD" thing I think I'm gonna scream- it's such a horrible cliché, as are dozens of other minor details that all of "alternative" seems to share. Why not try to surprise the listener, put in interesting instrumentation, challenge yourself with every song? The end result will always be better.

Then there's the pretension. Don't get me started on the pretention. The 90s were the decade where Prog Rock was allowed to flourish in all its monstrous mild glory again, in the hands of "sensitive" bands like Radiohead and The Doves. There was no earthniess, no rawness, no nerve to nearly the entire decade's output, replaced by wilfully (wilfully! for fuck's sake!) toned-down emotions and sounds. The polyphonic synthesizer and its amazing ability to cloud everything in candyfloss certainly helped here.

I would probably be less concerned were it not for the fact that music is now picking up again, rising to almost unprecedented levels. Rawness, originality, quirkiness, feeling and Rock 'n' Roll are all back, in the hands of bands like The White Stripes. And black music has completely regained its edge, with amazingly creative stuff coming out of the production studios of Timbaland and The Neptunes. The nineties are finally buried nearly everywhere, and I hope they'll be swiftly forgotten.

Mr. Bas
17-04-2003, 20:02:49
Interesting section of widely varying quality, including some of the best songs of the first cd (songs 20,21,26) and some of the worst (22,23). Mclusky and the Young Gods sound interesting, I should check out some of their other stuff.

BigGameHunter
17-04-2003, 20:14:33
SB- As a denizen of the "Cobain" region, I can assure you that he was a mere infant in the alternative/grunge playpen. His predecessors had more chops than he ever could, and, if you surmise that he was the zenith of that movement, you are too late by about 10 years.
Check out The Wipers, Mudhoney, L7, Gashuffer, Poison Idea et al for the blazing acme of PNW sound.

BigGameHunter
17-04-2003, 20:20:19
Oh...and I hope I'm going to be able to contribute to the next segment...I've got some great stuff from these parts that should really knock your socks off...don't know if you can dance to it though.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-04-2003, 20:28:16
Oh, I like a lot of the eighties stuff. I've got a Green River CD in my bag right now! I don't necessarily consider Curt Cobain the zenith of anything, though I have to admit he was an excellent tunesmith with a knack for creating memorable music.

Debaser
17-04-2003, 20:42:47
;)

I dress entirely in black and wear sunglasses at night. I smoke imported Lucky Lights non-stop and only buy records if the sleeve is hand-made or the print run is less than 500 copies. I never smile.

There is no way you're anywhere near as cool as me.

n.b: Some or all of this post may be untrue.

BigGameHunter
18-04-2003, 05:13:02
:)
I'm sure...

Lazarus and the Gimp
18-04-2003, 07:21:57
I am nothing like Debaser's description. I smoke Camel Lights and I smiled only last month.

Provost Harrison
20-04-2003, 15:58:08
"Sorry about not getting the PM but I have been away all weekend and never got the chance to pick up the message on wednesday due to my connection fucking around. Anyway, here is my return comment, if you care...

Yep, this is 'Inner Logic' by Bad Religion, from the album Stranger Than Fiction. This album is from 1994 and exhibits a more mature side to Bad Religion in terms of songwriting and musicianship. Although it lacks the energy of some of the earlier albums, there are some absolutely fantastic tracks on here, such as this one, as guessed by Bas. Mike is right, he has heard 'You' on the THPS soundtrack, as I am sure he has already mentioned previously.

And Iain, I know that you would like Bad Religion if you could just pull your head out of your arse about this band. Without Bad Religion some of your emo would never have existed...but there are good reasons for the existence of Bad Religion as well ;)"

There...

*End Is Forever*
20-04-2003, 16:24:02
Just because it was important doesn't mean I have to like or listen to it...

Immortal Wombat
20-04-2003, 19:06:51
"You" is good.
"Inner Logic" isn't.

Immortal Wombat
20-04-2003, 19:08:15
crass oversimplification is best

Provost Harrison
20-04-2003, 19:22:56
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
Just because it was important doesn't mean I have to like or listen to it...

But the thing is Iain, if you didn't realise that was Bad Religion, you'd probably like it...

Provost Harrison
20-04-2003, 19:23:41
Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
crass oversimplification is best

They're both good, just that Stranger Than Fiction stuff takes a bit more effort to appreciate...

Debaser
20-04-2003, 20:10:16
I quite like Stranger Than Fiction. Doesn't it have 21 Centuary Digital Boy and American Jesus on it? They're both great tracks.

Mr. Bas
21-04-2003, 08:10:52
IW: I'd say it's the other way round, 'You' is fairly shit and 'Inner Logic' isn't.

Debaser: sort of, and no, respectively. 21st century digital boy was recorded two times, but IMO the Against The Grain version is far better than the STF one. American Jesus is from Recipe for hate, same period though.

Debaser
21-04-2003, 15:37:15
Ah yes. I was confused because American Jesus was the b-side of the 21st Century Digital Boy single (STF version).

Scabrous Birdseed
21-04-2003, 15:51:39
RC: Greensleeves reissued Eek-A-Mouse's debut album Wa Do Dem as part of their 25th anniversary reissue package a couple of years ago. This year they're also reisssuing The Mouseketeer, I believe. From the previous round of reissues you can still buy Skiddip! and The Mouse & The Man, though they're a bit pricier.

Of course, Wa Do Dem (the single) is on that double CD I recommended last week... ;)

Funkodrom
22-04-2003, 09:36:58
I on my hand don't care what audience it was meant for- I just go for what appeals to me. I don't try to be "eclectic" and "trendy" and "understanding" and "appreciative of a record's social/historical importance", I just pick up on what, with my ears, sounds good. As such, the vast majority of Alternative and Indie seems to be a combination of ironic kitch, formulaic soundalike "warm" production and total absence of all the fun, slightly juvenile raunch of Rock 'n' Roll. Plus it's really crap on the dance floor, which is the key distinguisher for me.

Plus, of course, it's supremely unoriginal, which I think is important as well. The entire 90s seemed to consist of idiots ripping off each others sounds, songs and production, never daring or being able to reach outside their little horrible pop-rock fold. Take Post-Grunge (ie. all the "Alternative" music since Cobain died): It's a genre that defines itself through really inexpertly trying to replicate the soundscape of a movement where it was the songs, not the aesthetic, that mattered anyway. If I hear another fucker doing that idiotic "quiet-LOUD" thing I think I'm gonna scream- it's such a horrible cliché, as are dozens of other minor details that all of "alternative" seems to share. Why not try to surprise the listener, put in interesting instrumentation, challenge yourself with every song? The end result will always be better.

Then there's the pretension. Don't get me started on the pretention. The 90s were the decade where Prog Rock was allowed to flourish in all its monstrous mild glory again, in the hands of "sensitive" bands like Radiohead and The Doves. There was no earthniess, no rawness, no nerve to nearly the entire decade's output, replaced by wilfully (wilfully! for fuck's sake!) toned-down emotions and sounds. The polyphonic synthesizer and its amazing ability to cloud everything in candyfloss certainly helped here.

I would probably be less concerned were it not for the fact that music is now picking up again, rising to almost unprecedented levels. Rawness, originality, quirkiness, feeling and Rock 'n' Roll are all back, in the hands of bands like The White Stripes. And black music has completely regained its edge, with amazingly creative stuff coming out of the production studios of Timbaland and The Neptunes. The nineties are finally buried nearly everywhere, and I hope they'll be swiftly forgotten.

What a load of toss. Basically what you are saying is that the '90s were unoriginal therefore shit but the garage rock bands are good because they've brought back a lot of good old rock values including originality? Er... what? Garage rock has brought originality? Why haven't I been shown any of that!!!

And the reason the grunge bands weren't original in the first place is because everyone since has copied them? Huh?

Anyway that is a completely illogical and badly structured argument. Whether or not there is an actual point buried in there is hard to tell. Lots of long words though.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-04-2003, 10:11:55
Look, I use long words, they flow naturally. :rolleyes:

I have said neither of the things you claim.

I like Grounge bands, but Grunge is (largely) an eighties musical style, so it dunn count.

Most Garage Rock bands are far from original. The White Stripes, though, are the leading lights of their genre, and do sound way different from anything else ever recorded (although some will claim a significant Billy Childish influence). What I was claiming was that there were several "new" genres and "new" sounds like this, the Rock 'n' Rollness and originality of which we haven't seen the like of since about 1988.

Plus it was only one factor, okay? I hate the nineties sound, it's fucking crap.

Funkodrom
22-04-2003, 10:17:55
What is "the 90s sound" then? Personally I was listening to mostly grunge/alternative/metal until '95 then crap indy schmindy and trance until the end. What were you listening to?

The second half of the decade was, for me, really bad for music and I rarely listen to anything I bought then (that was made then) but I still listen to most of the stuff I listened to in the early 90s.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-04-2003, 10:26:45
In the early nineties I was aged 9-14 and was barely listening to anything- possibly, like, eurocheese and stuff. In 1993 (age 11) I moved to Tanzania and stopped listening to good music altogether, never even owning a CD player and mostly litsening to cack off casette tapes (Alanis Morisette, for instance, or The Beatles). Upon my return in 1998 I had a stint listening purely to oldies stations, not liking the output of the time, then regressing in 1999 to Classic Rock. I would try to keep up with music, but only barely. I bought my first seriously meant CDs in december 2000.

I don't see how this is strictly relevant though... I mean, you're tainted by that awful Indie-Alternative-Dance crap. I'm not. I don't have to defend awful Britpop 'cause I wasn't there, man.

(okay, so it's sounds, plural- the strict Rap - Pop - Indie - Dance - Alternative splitup was part of the problem!)

Funkodrom
22-04-2003, 10:41:32
Hey, hang on, I'm not defending awful Britpop either!!!

I have this theory that people have the fondest memories the music from the decade in which they seriously started listening to music. Be interesting to take a survey from here and see if that's true.

Debaser
22-04-2003, 10:53:37
I'd agree with that Funko.

BigGameHunter
22-04-2003, 15:26:09
Me too. I was wondering why SB didn't seem to know his ass from a teapot. Now I know--you were in grade school!
;)
As probably one of the crustier members of this esteemed panel, I can assure you that the late 80's/early 90's was a great era for music. The Wipers, Pixies, REM, Replacements, Pale Fountains, Jane's Addiction, Nirvana, Screaming Trees, et al were making new sounds that bred today's generation of bands. I don't listen to mainstream music at all and must confess a bit of a gap in knowledge as for current "under the radar" bands, but from what I've heard of them, bands like Wilco, Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, Pavement, Luna, etc. are still making excellent music.
I guess I still don't grasp the distinction between "garage, indie, alternative" etc, but to me, alternative is anything that doesn't get much if any play on the radio.
My early music listening was Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Berlin, Depeche Mode, etc...so the bit in between seems much much much better than the early period, or even what's going on now.
I don't see a HUGE difference between the White Stripes and any other innovative, solid "alt" band. There are a lot of them to be heard.
To paint a picture of the 90's as a musical wasteland is quite erroneous in my opinion.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-04-2003, 16:15:08
The White Stripes, though, are the leading lights of their genre, and do sound way different from anything else ever recorded (although some will claim a significant Billy Childish influence).

If you take a White Stripes '45 and play it at 33, then try to mentally filter out a spot of distortion and vocal squeakiness, what you're left with sounds a lot like any number of 1950's RnR bands. Try it with "Fell in love with a girl" and it's a Buddy Holly track.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-04-2003, 16:19:49
Originally posted by Funkodrom

I have this theory that people have the fondest memories the music from the decade in which they seriously started listening to music. Be interesting to take a survey from here and see if that's true.

Possibly so. In the late-80's indie scene you had bands like My Bloody Valentine, Spacemen 3, Loop and Coil pushing the envelope in every direction. It seemed like anything was possible- that there was a genuinely wild and unpredictable underworld of music just waiting to rip free. What's more, that era actually did owe very little to any predecessors.

protein
22-04-2003, 16:43:30
I just can't get my head around it. Scabby has only been listening to music for three years. THREE YEARS!!! Most of the rest of us have been listening to/writing and recording music all of our lives. Still, he thinks that he knows what constitutes good music? Maybe you like music that is thin and uninteresting because you haven't developed an ear for music. That would explain quite alot.

All decades have had good music and I remember the 90s to have particularly excellent music. I believe that there is definately less good music around now than 10 years ago.

The last really new music was drum'n'bass and everything since has been retrospective.

The White Stripes are not original, they sound different because you are used to people who can play instuments well. Their "new" sound is based on the drummer playing like a disabled 90 year old and the music not having any frequency range below about 100Hz because they don't have a bassist.

The songs sound like the type of songs an annoying twat would insist on playing you on an acoustic guitar at a party. You know the type, you try to get away from them but they keep following you and singing you songs about student grants or getting stoned.

BigGameHunter
22-04-2003, 16:52:56
That kind of person is called a "newf" which is short for "new friend".
I seem to be a magnet for them, from the drunk guy at the bar who says "hey, you like the Lions too?" and regales me with long protracted explanations of why he too likes the Lions (it's just a hat, dude...I like pussy as well, but I don't need to know the history of pussy) to the drunken neighbor who knocks on my door at midnight, hoping for a free smoke and then falls off the porch and bashes his head in on the pavement.
But let's not pile on SB, for his is an interesting perspective--he's like a butterfly coming forth from a cocoon of oblivion, seeing everything around him as new and having no comprehension of what preceeded it.
At least he doesn't like Britney, Back Street, etc....

Funkodrom
22-04-2003, 17:23:53
There's one of those that we always see at the After Dark and the BBBs but I think he might have got the hint now!

Guy
22-04-2003, 17:52:41
The Shaker's moving out?

Scabrous Birdseed
22-04-2003, 18:11:00
:rolleyes: There's some major temporal/quantitative confusion going on here. Yes, I've listened to music in an interesting way for two and a bit years. Does this mean I've, overall, listened to less music than, say, *End is Forever*? Far from it- I've got a CD collection that comprises some 350 units (never counted them, but about that I think), that ranges geographically from Barbados to the far east, genrewise from deep soul to grindcore and in time from the thirties to, like, now. I obsessibvely read about it, collect facts, try to analyse what I hear, try to spot patterns and trends and connections. I know more about obscure mid-70s Cleveland Punk than anyone else I know, and I've got no less than eight CDs worth of Miracles material. And I've got that really nerdy 9-CD Stax/Volt completist boxset! :p

Compare a person who's driven a car all his life, occasionally changed the battery and the oil filter and maybe the fan belt with a young man who's just taken a three-month engineering course in car engine construction. Who knows more about how a car works?

Of course, I admit to having very selective knowledge. I mean, I could describe to someone how to tell the difference between Rocksteady and early Reggae should they require it, but I have no bloody idea what, say, James or Shed Seven sound like, or what the fuck Progressive House is, becuase I've shied away from those sounds that I find unappealing. I know the origins of more songs than all my friends at the 60s soul night, but next to nothing of what get's played on the (awful, badly produced, samey, ironic ;)) Indie Night the evening before. Bloody Charlatans and shit, presumably.

Scabrous Birdseed
22-04-2003, 19:10:58
AND ANYWAY, what does competence have to do with Rock 'n' Roll? Some of the greatest music ever has been made by teenagers with a week's worth of guitar lessons behind them. The accessability, the simplicity, the vitality is what sets Rock apart from other genres, for fuck's sake! Protein can go huddle with Mozart, for all I care.

Lazarus and the Gimp
22-04-2003, 19:37:29
Bad comparison. Mozart, among classical composers, is noted for simplicity and accessibility.

BigGameHunter
22-04-2003, 20:57:23
Now, now...

I for one am very impressed with both your maturity and musical knowledge, SB. I'd have had you pegged as a highly anal 30-something. God only knows how anal you'll be then! ;)
But you are, admittedly (I guess I'm admitting for you) at an age where much is black and white and "vibe" often takes a backseat to "knowledge".

However, you're probably light years ahead of me in breadth of listening--and I've got some very shameful CD's in my own collection, scattered among the gems. My hat is off to your insight and strength of opinion--both laudable qualities in any man.

I just think that a lot of good bands get missed in an understandable trend against "genres". But, hey...diversity is what makes this world great and I applaud your obviously diverse tastes.
If you'd ever like a compiliation of the Pacific Northwest sound, spanning the last couple of decades, PM me your address and I'll put one together, with maybe a couple of other faves of mine.
That goes for the rest of you too...though if some of you are grouped together geographically, I'd rather just send one and have it dispersed to the others in the group...I am a poor struggling parent, after all.
Cheers...

Scabrous Birdseed
22-04-2003, 21:44:34
I've actually been really looking forward to your future PNW contributions to LWP5, so I'd be really thrilled if you could. I've got a pretty decent collection of stuff from the region from 1965-1968 (Keith Kessel! :love: ), but it's mostly been very bare-bones skimming for me since then.

BigGameHunter
22-04-2003, 22:37:40
No probs...I have your address, so I'll try and get something off ASAP and then you can possibly pass it on to others in that region, time permitting.

Funkodrom
23-04-2003, 08:32:25
Compare a person who's driven a car all his life, occasionally changed the battery and the oil filter and maybe the fan belt with a young man who's just taken a three-month engineering course in car engine construction. Who knows more about how a car works?

Compare a kid who test drives 350 cars in a weekend - but only of certain brands - to someone who works on the same car day in day out for 20 years. Who knows most about cars? Answer is that they both know different things. One has a wide range of surface experience the other has the car as part of his life.

If the kid comes up to the older guy and says, you shouldn't like that car any more, in fact you should like any of these 15 cars. This one has more original design, this one is faster, this one has better brakes... the older guy might just respond with yes, I know all about that but this is the car that I really love it's part of who I am. I might try out those other cars and enjoy them but this is the one I'll always come back to.

BigGameHunter
23-04-2003, 15:21:34
What a horrible analogy! Try using fruit next time, it's always a winner for me.

;)

Actually, it was quite good.