PDA

View Full Version : Take that, you proprietary, moneygrubbing ass... um... tards!

Sir Penguin
13-04-2003, 05:41:57
I downloaded a map of the world from the UN website a week or so ago, in PDF format. It was nice and vectored, of course, so no matter how far you zoomed, the lines were always smooth. Unfortunately, it came with all sorts of country names and borders (massive, grotesque white lines between each country and between the land and sea) and crap like that, which I didn't want, and which I couldn't figure out how to remove in Acrobat Reader (probably because you can't, 'cause it's a READER, and they charge US$250 for the WRITER). So, after messing around with postscript and stuff like that unsuccessfully, I ended up opening the .pdf file in a text editor, and deleting all the font classes (which made the country name text disappear). Then, I mentally parsed the binary image data*, and removed all the data that represented the borders, which left nothing but the landmass**, which is exactly what I wanted. :coolgrin:

So fuck off, Adobe, you can keep your ridiculously overpriced*** license. :shoot:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I 0\/\/|\| J00 ADOBE or whatever it is They say.

SP

*OK, I deleted from the bottom of the data stream object upwards until I saw a nice smiley in the text representation of the binary data, and kept on doing that until there wasn't any more of what I didn't want. I ended up paring the file down to 1/3 of the original file size.
**For some reason, I can't remove the border around the Great Lakes without removing the lakes themselves. But everything else looks good.
***Overpriced for what I wanted to do with it, anyway.

The Shaker
13-04-2003, 17:04:43
Congratualtions. You have been awarded one geek star.

Sir Penguin
13-04-2003, 23:37:11
w00t

sp

The Bursar
14-04-2003, 20:50:08
To earn one more gold star, you must assume that everyone else wants to admire your handiwork more closely: upload it somewhere and share it with the millions* of lesser geeks.

*ones

Sir Penguin
15-04-2003, 00:04:00
You don't believe me, do you? :hmm:

Well, hah!

Modified: http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~nrqm/world1.pdf
Original from: http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/english/htmain.htm

Now don't go and show me up by doing better than I did, you bastard.

SP

Sean
15-04-2003, 00:20:09
The problem isn’t Adobe, the problem is the UN. I would damn well expect to be able to get a map of the world in a open format (PostScript) from them.

ozscott75
15-04-2003, 05:58:54
Fucking UN.

The Bursar
15-04-2003, 09:31:42
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~nrqm/world1.pdf on this server.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/1.3.23 Server at www.csc.uvic.ca Port 80

Still don't believe you. :p

Sir Penguin
15-04-2003, 10:23:48
Bull! Maybe it needs execute permission. :confused:

SP

Darkstar
17-04-2003, 19:07:26
Works for me. He probably wont let adobe run on his machine.

Darkstar
17-04-2003, 19:08:32
Why would the UN, the guys who control the World Trade Organization, choose to support the free exchange of information, when the WTO supports Adobe?

Sean
17-04-2003, 19:14:43
It’s not like they are restricting the flow of information, jsut that they chose the wrong format.

Darkstar
17-04-2003, 19:28:25
They probably got their Adobe Writers (and other Adobe software) for free. After all, if all their data is in that format, everyone who wants to use/interface to it have to use Adobe. More sales for Adobe. That's standard corporate thinking.

Immortal Wombat
17-04-2003, 20:29:42
Hm, its working now.