PDA

View Full Version : If you can do it, it ain't cheating!

Darkstar
28-03-2003, 21:55:20
Or so says Brian Reynolds, in a recent interview given to a friend of his at News.com.

Apparently, BR thinks using exploits, loopholes, and outright cheating (including hacking the exe to something that improves your odds), is all fine and dandy for gamesmen (and he counts himself a gamesman). However, this attitude seems to be given him a heart murmur and the squirting herseys, as his 'Rise of Nations' is meant to have an online MP aspect (ranking?), and as a business man in the game/entertainment industry, he knows nothing destroys a community or MP game faster then gamesmen. So apparently, they are trying to come up with all the ways that BR would exploit RoN, and blocking those.

Now, considering past histories of this development team's big boys, they should consider bringing in some hardcore game players as well. You know, people that went past turn 100 in Civ2 and SMAC, and didn't bother using any cheats, as they could stop the game without bothering with such a thing...

Deacon
28-03-2003, 22:36:40
The bugs will be features, especially if some of them stop the game. If the executable terminates before you CAN cheat, then you could say that it will be more difficult to cheat. :p

Shining1
29-03-2003, 01:30:50
No-one has managed to put up a stable RTS design that didn't descend into unit massing of one form or another after two weeks.

Blizzard even did a 5000 person beta for WarcraftIII, their least successful balancing attempt so far. The 5000 beta rapidly became a 50000 beta as Warforge.com hacked it and put the beta up on their servers. And the balancing STILL sucked.

Darkstar
01-04-2003, 19:47:00
Actually Deacon, bugs are part of manipulating the game, according to BR. Up until they crash the game. ;)

WC3 isn't balanced? You don't say S1. What do you think about the the tweaks in the expansion for it? Do they sound helpful to adding balance?

Resource Consumer
02-04-2003, 00:06:10
Hold it. Was there not a game once that was asolutely fine for most game players. It was just those "extra mile" guys who really tried to push the AI and the "game features" to gain advantage.

Were not these once described by a associate of Mr Reynolds as people without lives etc and not representative of the gaming community....

Or does this old memory fail me here...

Resource Consumer
02-04-2003, 00:06:45
Originally posted by Darkstar
Actually Deacon, bugs are part of manipulating the game, according to BR. Up until they crash the game. ;)

WC3 isn't balanced? You don't say S1. What do you think about the the tweaks in the expansion for it? Do they sound helpful to adding balance?

LOL. I thought bugs were integral to the community spirit.:D

Darkstar
02-04-2003, 19:55:45
That too. :D

Shining1
03-04-2003, 08:07:56
You probably remember what I said, DS:).

Yes, the Frozen Throne has helped a great deal from what I'm hearing. At the VERY least, they have examined the whole counter units situation carefully so that each race now has at least something that can reliably shred nearly any unit massing strategy (where 'massing' is defined as 'building an army from one type of unit - shorthand for 'dryad massing' or 'grunt massing', etc).

Whether that makes the game balanced is another question, but it does make for a situation where you can beat any player if you see them coming early enough and build to counter their force. That helps.

I don't know much about Brian's RTS skills but he turned down a game with Yin and the crew a few years ago mainly because he though it would have been a total slaughter (and I don't think he was wrong). Blizzard had legendary Starcraft players involved in War3 and it still came out poorly. It will be interesting to see how RoN develops when it comes out. At the very least, the gamespy articles have made me more interested in it.

Shining1
03-04-2003, 08:10:19
RC: You can't say he hasn't learned then:).