PDA

View Full Version : Johnny English Review...

Debaser
26-03-2003, 11:39:40
Johnny Shit.

King_Ghidra@home
26-03-2003, 18:20:30
you couldn't tell that without watching it?

Debaser
27-03-2003, 16:00:18
Ok, real review...

When Nicole Kidman said “Art is important” at the Academy Awards last weekend I very much doubt she was talking about “art” like Johnny English, possibly the most derivative, predictable piece of cinema to grace our theatres this year. Ok, it may be aimed primarily at kids, but that’s is no excuse for the tired, seen-it-all-before performance Rowan Atkinson churns out in his latest big-screen venture, a banal James Bond spoof. Every aspect of this film takes it’s cues from an obvious Bond cliché, from the dire Robbie Williams performed theme song, right through to the cringe-worthy ending, where English (Atkinson) gets his girl, only to “hilariously” fire her through the roof of his car when he accidentally leans on his ejector-seat button. To be fair this is a nicely paced film, though this is probably down to the complete lack of any attempt at character rounding. I can’t remember a single line of dialogue which served any purpose other than to set up the next slapstick set piece, if fact, I can’t remember a single line of dialogue. The funniest thing about this film is that it’s director, Peter Howitt, played Joey Boswell in rubbish 80’s sit-com Bread. This simple fact made me laugh more than all of Atkinson’s crazy rubber faced antics put together. John Malkovitch made quite a good Bond Villain, with particular credit awarded for an excellent comedy French accent, and Natalie Umbriglia looked quite foxy as English’s love interest, but other than that I can’t find any redeeming features in this film. Strictly under twelve year olds only. 2/10.

Funkodrom
27-03-2003, 16:01:50
Natalie Umbraguliuluaulia is in it? Might be worth watching then.