PDA

View Full Version : RIVERWORLD IS COMING!!!!! SCI-FI CHANNEL

BigGameHunter
19-03-2003, 16:18:19
I don't know if any of you have read this series or know about its debut on the Sci-Fi channel this Saturday night (do you get that channel in Europe?) but I hope it is good!
I've loved that series and re-read it many times...though it is a bit UScentric in its character choices. However, Richard Burton (not the actor) is the main character.

Anyhow, I've been praying they'd make a movie out of this, and it looks like it is going to be a series. If they don't cock it all up, it should be a lot of fun.

Check out Philip Jose Farmer on the web if you want more information. Definitely worth giving it a go. I haven't been too impressed with the "Children of Dune" bit they are running now, so hopefully this won't be kack as well.

TAZ
19-03-2003, 18:59:19
I thought it was a really cool series but got a bit crap towards the end...

Sean
19-03-2003, 19:00:51
Originally posted by BigGameHunter
Check out Philip Jose Farmer on the web if you want more information. Definitely worth giving it a go. I haven't been too impressed with the "Children of Dune" bit they are running now, so hopefully this won't be kack as well.
I heard that got mixed reviews. Shame, as I was looking forward to it.

Noisy
19-03-2003, 19:46:06
My forays into Philip Jose Farmer (35 years ago!) put me off him such that I never got as far as the Riverworld Series. I'm sure it'll come on the SciFi channel in the UK soon, so I'll try and catch it.

BigGameHunter
19-03-2003, 21:56:12
I haven't enjoyed much of his other stuff, either. But Riverworld was a great, sweeping series full of fun and adventure and not too much science. :)
I've just had a look at the website and early indicators are that the show may suck.
I'll post a review after I've seen it....but I think there was mention of horses and a plot I don't remember in the book...so it doesn't look promising.
:(

Venom
20-03-2003, 13:41:37
I have serious doubts in Sci-Fi's ability to make this entertaining.

Darkstar
21-03-2003, 00:33:55
I have often wondered what other people that rave about RiverWorld see in it. I've tried reading a bit of it, but it just bored me silly.

But, for the fans, I hope the series is fun and interesting.

RedFred
21-03-2003, 08:06:47
I am with Darkstar on this one. For science fiction it didn't have much science. For a series of novels it didn't have much plot. I am reminded of that stupid song by George Thurogood that just goes on and on and nothing ever happens.

The Mad Monk
22-03-2003, 09:55:52
I liked the dying over and over bit.

Resource Consumer
22-03-2003, 11:44:52
Originally posted by RedFred
I am with Darkstar on this one. For science fiction it didn't have much science. For a series of novels it didn't have much plot. I am reminded of that stupid song by George Thurogood that just goes on and on and nothing ever happens.

Isn't that every George Thorogood song?

RedFred
23-03-2003, 19:13:45
He has more than one? ;)

BigGameHunter
24-03-2003, 19:36:25
Scoundrels! How dare you malign my favorite series!

Well...it wasn't too bad...but not nearly as good as it could have been...reminded me of a Xena type show: too much fighting, not enough development. Bah!
We'll see...

Venom
24-03-2003, 19:41:11
I've heard the first 15 episodes or so are pretty good.

Goob
27-03-2003, 23:45:52
I watched it last Saturday, not bad, never read the series so I can't comment on how it matched in flavor or detail, but the TV show didn't suck totally, so thats a good thing. Will there be a new episode each Saturday then? Will they all be two hours or will they go to one hour now that the series is started?

Venom
28-03-2003, 15:44:36
Should go to 1 hour format.

BigGameHunter
28-03-2003, 20:11:04
I thought it odd that they didn't have a follow up episode or at least a replay of the premiere this week....
I may give this one a go, as the only show I ever watch regularly (the wife has outlawed all the others) is Enterprise, and I keep missing that one.
I need a weekly show!

Venom
28-03-2003, 21:18:43
I will not give it a go. The Vivendi/Sierra/Sci-Fi Channel devil bastards must pay a heavy price...and I'm the cashier.

Darkstar
28-03-2003, 21:40:58
Humm... I watch John Doe. It's quality has ranged from good to shit, with the average at just better then ok.

Tremors 2 hour series pilot tonight (friday). That should prove... interesting.

BigGameHunter
28-03-2003, 22:56:10
Tremors is pretty funny...I like the guy from Family Ties or whatever the hell show that was. They should have Michael J. Fox guest star...it would go right with the title of the show!

That was bad, I know.
:gasmaske:

BigGameHunter
31-03-2003, 08:22:31
I can't find a thing about any series...maybe it was received poorly and they shitcanned the whole project?
Oh well...not like I'll be watching a lot of television any time soon.

BigGameHunter
22-04-2003, 21:25:04
Anybody seen anything about this continuing? I thought I heard an announcement on SCI FI from the other room the other day...

Noisy
20-05-2003, 23:51:59
Riverworld pilot movie ran on Monday night in the UK. By some miracle, I caught the whole of it. I like the concept, but it somehow seemed insubstantial. Maybe it'll pick up with some character development.

The one amazing thing is that given the current population of the world is one third Chinese, there were no Chinese characters at all. That's a pretty common failing of pretty much every single Science Fiction story I've ever read or seen.

BigGameHunter
21-05-2003, 15:05:54
Well, in the book, people are scattered about randomly with concentrations of races in each area. So, "technically" they can justify missing Chinese with that fact.
I've read the series several times...it is a great concept. They have veered pretty far off the path of the original writing, but the guts are the same--Sam Clemens, the astronaut (though he isn't the neckless dildo he is in the show) etc. I don't remember the dead guy from Zena as a main character, but I do think Nero was one.
Anyhow, I hope it doesn't turn into a serial comicdramedy a la The Lost World. There was a good plot in that book (if not a bit meandering at times) and it would be cool if done correctly.
Famous last words.