PDA

View Full Version : Chagarra! Thanks for the help!

Darkstar
13-03-2003, 06:55:52
Thanks for the info on Webscriptions, again. One of the most useful and helpful bits of info someone has given me in a long.

I suspect that they will get plenty more business from me, for as long as I have a useful PDA, anyways. :)

Go eBooks! :D

chagarra
13-03-2003, 10:52:29
No problem glad to help.

I have found, owing to the $20au international transaction fee, that paying for the service annually, works for me, I also buy in bulk from fictionwise, when I build up a big enough list of must haves.

My laptop library is starting to look good.

Resource Consumer
13-03-2003, 10:56:48
Do you guys not find it hard to read a large amount of text on the screen or inconvenient to print it out?

chagarra
13-03-2003, 11:09:51
First I must ask.... Have you tried to read an ebook, since all that I have are paginated similarly to a printed book, except that you change pages with a mouse or Pg Dn key.
Microsoft reader only allow a narrow page width, in the order of quarter screen.

I'm unaware of pda usage, Darkstar can better advise on that, but on a laptop I find reading as easy, or easier on the eyes, than a paperback.

.... Why would you print it out..??
You brought the bloody things because they 'were' ebooks.... sheez.

Resource Consumer
13-03-2003, 14:02:25
Thanks

Exactly my thoughts re: printing.

No, I haven't is the short answer and I am not so sure the experience of reading a large amount of text on the screen is one that appeals to me. That's why I'm curious.

Darkstar
14-03-2003, 08:54:00
I prefer to read them on my Pocket PC. I don't mind reading the occasional item on my big box, especially items with lots of illustrations.

The advantage of having my eBooks with me on my PPC is that I can read them anywhere. Quite handy for commuting. Plus, I do not mind 'marking them up'. I cannot stand to do that will real books. Just goes against me to deface a paper book in any fashion.

No matter what the length of the ebook, it will always weigh what my PPC (or notebook) weighs. Handy for those really big books.

I do find it irritating that I cannot make a hard copy of certain books. But that is very rare. Generally, its the inability of outside applications to be able to SEARCH through the text of the ebook that burns me up though. No printing is actually acceptable to me as a compromise. If you could print the book, someone would print lots of copies and sell them cheap to others... But if I have all that text in digital form, at least let me search through it! Gr!

Other then that... I don't have a problem with ebooks. It's very nice that I can store all of my books on a small memory card the size of a postage stamp. And keep a copy on CD and external hard drive. ;)

I really think all technical manuals should come on ebooks these days. I've been waiting on at least Microsoft to do this. Considering how much they try to avoid printing books these days.

RC, you may want to consider trying out a book or three on your little Pocket PC during a commute. If you are tired of playing SMAC on the commute, that is...

Sir Penguin
14-03-2003, 09:17:01
You could probably write a script to grab .tifs of the pages and run the images through an OCR and search that (maybe it's even easier, depending on the ebook format). You could even write a search tool that would search for common OCR mistranslations of the input string. You might even be able to avoid getting arrested for it, if you kept it to yourself.

SP

Darkstar
14-03-2003, 09:37:46
Most ebooks are just an odd subset of HTML formating. So them not being searchable seems strange to me.

Sir Penguin
14-03-2003, 10:14:19
XML? The file is an ASCII text XML file? In that case, you could just write your own reader which has a search function. :)

SP

Darkstar
14-03-2003, 10:36:35
eBooks will also contain some odd jpegs, gifs, or pngs.

I've been doing some reading on the ebook formats. The open ebook standard is easy to find on the web. The actual finished file for Microsoft, Palm, Mobi, and the others tends to have their own particular flavors...

Resource Consumer
14-03-2003, 10:53:14
Thanks Darkstar, some good points there that I hadn't thought of - especially the weight one. Very handy for War and Peace..