PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale

King_Ghidra
10-03-2003, 10:04:34
Finally got around to watching this yesterday, don't think there's been a thread about but forgive me if there has :p

Overall i really enjoyed it, although enjoy seems a strange word to use in the context of a film like this. For those that don't know the plot is fairly simple: A randomly selected class of 40 japanese schoolkids are taken to a remote island and over three days must kill each other until only one is left, who is allowed to return to normal society. Each kid has a collar round their neck which contaisn a detonator which can be activated under various cicumstances. Unebknownst to the kids it also transmits their locations and contains a microphone to transmit what they are saying.

The reasoning about why this whole thing is happening is fairly weak, the idea being that it is because schoolkids don't show proper respect for adults, so the governemnt created BR to deal with the problem. The idea is touched on several times and i found it totally unconvincing and inexplicable, especially as the kids themsleves seemed unaware of its existence.

Takeshi Kitano plays the kids teacher, who also seems to be some kind of government or military official. This is never explained much either, but he is his usual poker-faced self, veering between kindness and murder without seeming to care much about either.

The main body of the film is concerned with the kids, who have split up into ones and twos and larger groups, running around on the island, some trying simply to kill each other outright, some working together to try and escape from their predicament.

Thus the film breaks into a series of ultra violent vignettes as with various weapons the kids set about each other, suffering crises of conscience and as they kill their former classmates, friends and lovers.
Through the gorefest the differing characters of the kids are revealed, some trusting, some paranoid, some reckless, some devious. Also the structure of the class's internal relationships is brought out, the cliques, friendships, secret loves are all exposed though the murderous game.
This is all andled with great style and you and the kids run the gamut of emotions from terror and shock to bittersweet moments to romance and humour.

The ending was a little bizarre but the real thrust of the movie is the furious action and emotion of the middle period, which makes battle royale a hugely affecting film. It won't be to everyone's taste but it is a totally original and unique film and for me that alone made it worth watching

maroule
10-03-2003, 10:29:03
I'll give it a try soon

Resource Consumer
10-03-2003, 10:41:19
that sounds really interesting...

jsorense
10-03-2003, 15:10:02
A must see for Venom.

Funkodrom
10-03-2003, 15:28:01
If that's yours can I borrow it K_G?

King_Ghidra
10-03-2003, 15:31:12
it's a ripped avi so anyone who wants it can 'borrow' it :D

Resource Consumer
10-03-2003, 17:05:54
I have ordered the DVD.

Nills Lagerbaak
11-03-2003, 17:23:31
Yeah, I "Enjoyed" this. Although you say it is a unique film, strangely I have seen two others I would say it was very similar to (at least in so far as the premis is similar): Das Experiment (which is superb) and of course Lord of the Flies.

Sean
30-08-2003, 01:21:02
Just watched this. Noticed that the director died at the start of this year: http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0297935/

I also see that the sequel was released in Japan last month: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0338763/

Dr Debaser
30-08-2003, 11:21:50
The original director's son made the second one. I had it on my computer for a while. I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as the first which is a shame as the first is one of my favourite films (though having only seen it in a tiny 2inch by 2inch window I'll give it a second chance when it's released on DVD over here).