PDA

View Full Version : The Straight Story

protein
09-03-2003, 21:41:25
I saw this film on video last night. It is one of those rare movies that you know will be one of your favorites for a long time.

It is a film about the true story of a 72 year old man (Alvin) who travelled hundreds of miles across the states to visit his sick and estranged brother on a lawnmower. The story is bizarre road movie that is punctuated by tales of the people Alvin meets on the way. Alvin is played by Richard Farnsworth who has the amazing ability to make you see in to his soul just by moving his eyes.

It is directed by David Lynch but is a million miles from films like The Lost Highway. Lynch's style in this film is to let silence say more than the dialogue. This film caused me to say "ehem, I think I've got something in my eye" and wipe away a tear more than any other film I've seen.

Sadly, the film doesn't have any tits or explosions in it. So I wouldn't recommend it.

jsorense
09-03-2003, 21:53:08
Yes, that is a good film.

Sean
09-03-2003, 23:07:32
Cheers, will add it to the (ridiculously long) list.

King_Ghidra
10-03-2003, 09:04:11
very tempted to buy this, i just ordered mulholland drive, lost highway and eraserhead on a triple pack from amazon

FunkyFingers
12-03-2003, 13:12:44
I saw this film a while back and absolutely loved it. Highly recommended

Sean
29-03-2003, 23:45:59
I saw this this evening. Absolutely gorgeous film, incredibly touching.

Scabrous Birdseed
21-06-2003, 20:46:35
I just saw it as well. I thought it was incredibly patchy, mixing the sublime with disney-style sentimentality, veering wildly from feel-good hollywood gunk to realism and deep into standard Lynch-style surrealism. (the 13 deer woman? wtf?) Sure, it displayed good-director flair for pacing (deliberately slow), editing, and some of the dialogue, and the acting was excellent, but way too often it just became clichéd and lame. Crap music, haphazard structure (which is okay, but he changed his mind about the direction of the film too much), stupid "these sticks represent the family" monologue.

I give it three gegenscheins out of five possible.

Sean
22-06-2003, 00:11:29
Partially agree. I personally thought there was some directness and honest in there the over-rode any tweeness or sugary sentimentality there might have been, especially in hindsight. It’s one of those films where I remember the performances and the basic plot more than the details.