PDA

View Full Version : Interview Tips

*End Is Forever*
06-03-2003, 20:30:08
Okay, so I'm interviewing Something Corporate on Sunday. Any tips?

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-03-2003, 20:45:23
Who?

Lazarus and the Gimp
06-03-2003, 20:48:18
Just the basics. Don't ask them where they got their name. Don't ask them about politics. Under no circumstances ask the guitarist anything about pedals.

If they look like they're going be arseholes and dick about, kick off by asking them what they think about female ejaculation. That usually gets their attention.

*End Is Forever*
06-03-2003, 20:58:25
You'll probably hear their ludicrously catchy first single "Punk Rock Princess" on the radio at some point...

http://www.somethingcorporate.com/

Scabrous Birdseed
06-03-2003, 21:15:29
Fellatio.

*End Is Forever*
06-03-2003, 21:23:05
Ah, maturity, don't you just love it?

Scabrous Birdseed
06-03-2003, 21:38:01
Bum.

Head Cheese.

protein
07-03-2003, 08:51:36
Ask the guitarist if he likes a bit of flange.
Ask them if they like good music even though theirs is crap.
Ask the singer if he takes it up the shitter.

maroule
07-03-2003, 09:11:08
Is your music so gay because you wanted to make a statement?
What do you want to do when you grow up?

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 09:55:30
I've never heard them so I don't know what they sound like. The best interview/articles I read are where the interviewer manages to actually talk to the bands about something they find interesting, just gets into the vibe of the band and goes with what they come up with.

Either that or make up really obscure bands and give them quotes like, what did you think about Jeff from the Smut Buckets saying that you really blew his geranium?

Resource Consumer
07-03-2003, 10:15:11
Good questions include :

"What will you do when you retire from the music business?"

"Why haven't you got a propoer job?"

"Have you ever considered a career in entertainment?"

"What would be your proposals to overcome the chronic shortage of sanitary engineers?"

King_Ghidra
07-03-2003, 10:22:38
ask them who their favourite football team is and what their favourite playstation game is, should generate some inter-band banter

Resource Consumer
07-03-2003, 10:31:40
Ask them who their favourite Spice Girl is.

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 10:33:14
Originally posted by King_Ghidra
ask them who their favourite football team is and what their favourite playstation game is, should generate some inter-band banter

Not a bad idea actually, most bands seem to have some kind of console on the tourbus these days.

protein
07-03-2003, 10:35:05
football sucks.

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 10:53:38
You do have an irrational hatred of it.

protein
07-03-2003, 11:09:33
Whats rational about watching a load of pikey men in tight shorts tapping a ball to each other for 90 minutes and occasionally rolling around pretending to be hurt?
What's normal about talking for hours on end about statistics relating to football leagues? It's exactly as interesting as trainspotting. Maybe I'm not as autistic as football fans.
What's rational about people beating each other up or not liking each other purely because they have inherited an affiliation to a different team?
Why are all BNP members also football fans?
Why do people feel that they are at war with and should hate countries that they are playing a game of football against?
How can people sit there and be entertained by nothing but people kicking a ball and the horrible sound of crowd noise and moronic commentary.
Why do people idolise David Beckham?
Why do they just use their feet?

King_Ghidra
07-03-2003, 11:14:20
what a load of bollocks, you must really be bored to waste your monring writing crap like that

and if you really believe that twaddle about feeling at war and the bnp connection you have a serious problem

protein
07-03-2003, 11:24:13
Its tough living in a country that can only talk about one thing that you don't give a toss about. Football breeding violence is not bollocks.
My feeling has built from indifference to irrational hatred due to people not having any other interests and non stop talking about it.

Imagine people talking about plumbing all day every day to you and calling you weird for not loving the beautiful art of plumbing. If you go with the program you will join in, but if you haven't been told to like the plumbing you will hate it.

I'm sorry I am not a Heat reading, football loving, pop music fan because then I would be so happy all the time.

King_Ghidra
07-03-2003, 11:33:00
mate i don't have a problem with you not liking football, i have a problem with you implying that football somehow contributes to the existence of organiations like the bnp.

football is just a sport like fishing or snooker. if you did a cross section of bnp members i'm sure you would find as many anglers or snooker players as football fans. just because a bad group of people associate themselves with a sport does not mean the sport iself is bad.

and the same with the 'feeling like they are going to war' stuff. That is a manifestation fo the british (and british media's)approach to sport, not a manifestation of a football culture. If you look at international cricket or rugby matches the same mind set exist, for example the mentions of the Henry V 'once more unto the breach' speech before the england france rugby game.

Feel free to say that football is a sport you don't like, but don't try and claim that football is responsible for the extreme political and cultural views of english people generally.

protein
07-03-2003, 11:41:07
I have to I'm afraid. That is what I don't like about football. I could watch five minutes of football with the sound off and not be bothered. But being in a pub for five minutes with 200 football fans on the verge of extreme crowd violence would bother me.

If you swapped hockey for football but gave it the same moronic culture it wouldn't make a difference. Thus it 'aint the game I hate.

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 11:48:33
Football doesn't breed violence. Some people who are violent use football as an excuse.

If your problem with football is that lots of people like it and talk about it and you don't like it so you feel left out of those converations then that's one thing but to take it to levels where you detest it so much you can't stand to be in a pub when it's on is irrational.

I get a bit insulted whenever you start your anti football rants because you seem to have this idea of football fans as moronic sheep who are only interested in football because other people are and you seem to view them (us) as if you are superior because you don't like football. You obviously know you give that impression sometimes because then you apologise and say obviously you don't mean me. But there are loads of perfectly intelligent rational football fans like me, a lot more than the mindless idiots that you don't like. I think maybe it's not really the football you hate but the 'yob culture'. Or just the way popular culture gets mass marketed, and gobbled up by the public in general. Maybe it would be better if we were all watching sports seeped in eastern philosophy and culture or making and listening to our own intelligent music and reading and writing deep meaningful literature. But the two things aren't mutually exclusive. We can do a bit of both. Sometimes you need a bit of escapist entertainment. Like watching trashy kung-fu films or anything with Sherrif John Burnell - which I personally hate and don't find entertaining in the slightest.

I like watching most sports, especially team sports. It might not be very cerebral but for me it's entertaining.

Resource Consumer
07-03-2003, 12:12:49
I am sure this will be most helpful for *EIF*, he can engae them in this debate and we'll see what they think...

protein
07-03-2003, 12:19:45
I guess I find it hard to imagine why people are so entertained by it. I think maybe people are turned on to football by their fathers and watching it makes them feel homely. It confuses me that such a non-exciting sport gets coverage in the evening news and has everyone talking about it. I would rather watch a game of hopscotch or monopoly. Another reason it annoys me is because it really is only a trivial game but it gets more attention that any other subject in Britain. David Beckham getting a small cut on his eyebrow getting front page coverage for instance.

I'm not saying dumb people like football because you lot are brighter than me. I guess I just hate Oasis style football culture more than Nick Hornby style football culture.

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 12:24:10
People just have different tastes. You find it boring, I find it really exciting (sometimes). My dad hated football as well. I only got into it relatively late when I got exposed to it as I got older. Feel like I missed out a bit when I was a kid.

The papers I read don't tend to give much coverage to David Beckham's hairstyles or fashion sense, avoiding them is great. :D

protein
07-03-2003, 12:26:36
Maybe thats it. I hate celeb gossip and football equally. Maybe its just tabloid culture that winds me up so much. Makes me have to read papers with long words. :lol:

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 12:29:50
That's a sensible thing to get riled up about. :D

maroule
07-03-2003, 12:48:19
I'll offer my non english background perspective to the debate, and will be maroudyling for a while.

I always loved football, and as Protein stated it's obviously related to some extend to my childhood, watching it with my father, playing in the small village where I then lived. I remember the excitement of walking to the stadium, seeing my friends, run around, and play matches on Sundays.

Today, I still play it, about twice a month, which makes it different from trainspotting. I watch it, but less than I used to, I read about it, but less than I used to, and I play computer games about it (I'll probably buy CM4).

Football is France is much less associated with a culture of violence. There has been crowd troubles, especially between Marseilles and Paris fan, because both fans project in football other issues (mainly a sense of aggressive belonging, superiority/inferiority complex, etc.) and because of social categories. Football is very lower to middle classes in France, much more than in England : when I went to university in England, I was surprised to see how legitimate it was, even for a top univ professor, to enjoy football. My college team was mainly made of PhD's. You wouldn't find that in France, with its almost 'proletarian' image of football (so on the other hand, many politicians have touted their love for football to connect with the masses). BTW all that changed quite a bit here after WC98, where football acquired a new image, and even a new spurious social role, as bridging the gap with non-white French (zidane and thuram as role models for immigrants).

Seen from the outside, the English yob culture does not seem connected to the sport itself, which is just a medium to channel the little Englander angst. This spite is also obvious in rugby, but only in the press coverage, for example about 'the crunch' with France (you'd obviously never find one war reference to the French papers). There as well it says more about other things (here the press) than about the sport itself. Needless to say, go anywhere in the world to follow even the most heated rugby match, and you'll be able to chat peacefully with ‘the enemy’.

Football is unique in its ability to represent regional (i.e Manchester) or even social divides (Barca and the Espanyol, for eg) or religious (the Ajax, ‘jew’ club, the Celtics, catholic, etc.). It’s used, in some cases, as a channel for pathetic behaviours. But it’s only a tool, a blank sheet of paper, not unlike Religion.

So, Protein, if you want to be fair, blame the yob culture, not the sport itself. As for the ‘absurdity’ of 22 grown men running after a ball, the same can be said of any sport or outdoor activity. That they’re paid so much for it is indeed absurd, but only to the extent of very average talents like the Spice Girls or Jean Claude Van Damme being equally billionaires.

protein
07-03-2003, 12:57:23
22 grown men running after a ball would be quite good. 22 men passing a ball to each other for 90 minutes with a very large possibility of a 0-0 draw doesn't get my juices flowing.

What was that sport they showed on Channel 4 for a bit? Kebaddi or something. That looked like fun.

maroule
07-03-2003, 13:15:57
well if that changes and if 22 men in shorts get your juices flowing, you might ask Gaylord for few bar addresses

protein
07-03-2003, 13:30:02
I prefer to watch men in pyjamas playfighting.

maroule
07-03-2003, 13:31:26
and you pass the eurogaytwat test with flying colours, congratulations

protein
07-03-2003, 13:44:09
Do I get a medal or anything?

maroule
07-03-2003, 13:51:30
no, but you might get a brown card if you work really hard on your sodomy innuendo

protein
07-03-2003, 13:53:07
Sodomy innuendo? I was talking about freestyle martial arts.

Hang on, I can see what you mean now.

Lazarus and the Gimp
07-03-2003, 22:09:22
Kabbadi rocks. Burly Bangladeshi men holding hands and jumping on each other while muttering gibberish.

King_Ghidra@home
08-03-2003, 16:17:25
Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
Kabbadi rocks. Burly Bangladeshi men holding hands and jumping on each other while muttering gibberish.

ah but they're not muttering gibberish they're saying kabbadi over and over again (the idead being to prove that they're holding their breath)

and as for bangladeshis, i was under the impression that this was very much an indian thing

i used to love watching it when channel 4 used to show it, great game/sport

Provost Harrison
08-03-2003, 22:28:30
Their new song sounds surprisingly edgy for the nature of pop-punk what it is.

My interview advice for you Iain? Ignore what all these losers advise you ;)