PDA

View Full Version : UK: 3 for 2 paperback offer at W.H. Smiths

Noisy
06-03-2003, 19:49:58
Little science fiction at the local shop. 'Altered Carbon' looks like one to go for, and there's a Ken MacLeod to partner the 'Cosmonaut Keep' that I picked up as a remainder. I think I may have seen a Modesitt Jr, so now I've seen chagarra's recommendation, there's a reason to go back and make that purchase.

Scabrous Birdseed
06-03-2003, 20:10:28
How about not buying Science Fiction then? Load of bollocks.

From looking at the website, I recommend: "A Traitor to Memory" by Elisabeth George, by far the best thing she's ever written, and Tracy Chevalier's "Girl with a Pearl Earring" is meant to be brilliant as well.

If it's in the offer (and it should be around the right time) Glen David Gold's "Carter Beats The Devil" is bloody brilliant too.

Funkodrom
07-03-2003, 10:15:51
:rolleyes:

Some science fiction is a load of bollocks, so is some 'non genre' fiction. Depends on the author and the book, like anything.

Darkstar
08-03-2003, 06:24:28
Humm... Science Fiction. Let's see... Fiction means not real. Or a load of bollocks. Why expect anything else from it then?

Scabrous Birdseed
08-03-2003, 12:35:22
Ooh, I dunno... Literary qualities? Good characterisation? Poetic use of language? Deep, meaningful philosophical and psychological insights? Emotional connections? Pace, Plotting, Meaning, Feeling, Clever Metaphors?

Darkstar
09-03-2003, 06:04:21
Ah.
You know, most music is garbage. Why would the literary equivalent be any different? ;)

Scabrous Birdseed
09-03-2003, 11:10:39
Hey, get me a sceince fiction book that messes so much with my brain that it makes me spontaneously tap my feet, nod my head and subconciously recite passages from it months later, and I'll buy it!

Noisy
09-03-2003, 20:55:25
You'll be wanting 'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula K. LeGuin, then. I've got a spare donation copy in stock.