PDA

View Full Version : Kory keeps writing

Kory
03-03-2003, 18:50:48
Well. Draft 2 of my book, tentatively entitled Shadows on Black Sunday, was finished up on Friday the 28th by rewriting 14,000 words on the fly in a period of five hours. Note that rewriting is somewhat easier than doing first draft material, but still, 14,000 words in five hours is nothing to sneeze at. The rewrite wordcount was just about 81,000 words.

It is now in the hands of two of my group of readers. (Two of the others just moved and I'm holding it for them while they settle in, one more will get it today after I get the format to the one she prefers, and I'm waiting on a response from one of the others.) I am hoping that they do not come back and say it's crap.

I have also completed two short stories in the last couple months, both of which have been submitted to professional magazines and racked up 3 rejections in total. Two of those rejections came with comments; apparently I don't completely suck. For the record, one of the rejections was from Fantasy and Science Fiction, and quite frankly I consider a rejection from F&SF with comments to be almost as good as an acceptance.

I'm currently trying to finish up a third short story while looking for new markets for the first two. My goal this year is to submit every short story completed to a paying market, and to allow each short three rejections before putting it in the rewrite pile.

Aside from this, I am also three chapters (plus a prologue) into the sequel for my first book.

Anyone want to start a donation pool to me so I can quit work and concentrate on this stuff full time? I figure if I could get together about USD 30-40,000 I could live off it for a year.... :)

jsorense
03-03-2003, 20:28:07
W O W

Darkstar
03-03-2003, 22:11:27
Yeah really! You can live off $30 for a year? The whole year? :D

Congrats on finishing your book. I'm glad you got comments back on 2 of your 'No thank yous.'!

Good luck with the submittals!

Kory
03-03-2003, 23:01:44
I would smack you, but you might enjoy it.

For the benefit of other wise-asses, that's "30 thousand to 40 thousand".

:rolleyes:

Thanks. :D I'll try to keep people updated. If I get published, you will probably be able to hear me shouting "Wahoo!" from there, though.

Darkstar
03-03-2003, 23:44:45
Maybe we could at that. :D

Starting on a sequel? Wow... good luck with that! I'd have thought that you'd probably want a break from your story before returning for a sequel. Good luck! Have a great time with that!

Kory
04-03-2003, 00:08:42
I actually started the sequel around the midpoint of editing. I'm finding that one project in editing and one in first draft works out fine because I handle them differently. (Short stories as I have time; 'project' means 'long fiction'. Non-fiction shorts as short stories.)

First draft is done on my alphasmart, usually during commute times or while I'm watching TV (gotta do something during commercials, though lately it's been 'draw').

Second draft is done directly on the comp, retyping and editing on the fly.

If I don't end up having to make a lot of changes, 3rd draft will probably just be alterations in the 2nd draft files. I'm assuming 3rd will be my final draft at this point but we'll see how my readers feel about that.

Besides, I have seven books planned in total for the series, and they want to come out. I'm probably going to take a break from the series after this draft is done so I can do worldbuilding on a different book (probably a single, not a series, but it might work out to two), and in May I go to New Orleans to do research on the third book. You cannot gag the muse. For long. I've tried.

My muse has gotten a name, she's so annoying at times. :)

-- Kory (Her name is 'Acantha'.)

jsorense
04-03-2003, 03:00:57
Kory/Acentha,
Your guys are amazing/inspirational.
:bounce:

ps nice avatar:)

Shining1
05-03-2003, 09:02:23
Kory:

WELL DONE!

Ned (adding a comment out of respect for Kory)

King_Ghidra
05-03-2003, 09:27:15
yeah, well done Kory, good job for sticking with it!

Funkodrom
05-03-2003, 09:31:10
Good luck Kory and good work.

Sean
05-03-2003, 13:36:46
Fund raising (http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/6/18/608/54762)?

Guy
05-03-2003, 13:51:42
Good luck, Kory, and very nicely done!

Kory
05-03-2003, 19:40:18
So, should I put a little paypal button on my forehead?

Unfortunately, as I've nothing to share but my webzine, I'm not sure I could get much. Obviously the answer is to try to do a webcomic, in all my free time. HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sean
05-03-2003, 19:56:46
Sure you have something to share: your book!

Kory
05-03-2003, 20:16:38
No. Sharing the book does not get done until it gets picked up by a publisher, at which point I'll be getting money anyhow.

BTW, for the curious, I just catalogued all my writing projects which were anywhere from 'idea' stage onwards. I have:

7 books planned in the series I'm working on now, of which 1 is in 2nd draft (hopefully 3rd being last), 1 is in 1st draft and about 1/5 done, three have some sort of outline, one has a basic idea, and one doesn't even have that much because I'm not sure how I want to finish out the series (I may kill the MC, I may not).

A 2-3 book high fantasy, which I've done some worldbuilding on, but haven't plotted out. I have some idea what the plots will focus on (namely, politics, with a bit of 'kill the nasty' thrown in) and who one of the main characters will be, but haven't gotten any further than that.

A one or maybe two book steampunk story, in about the same stage as the above, except with a slightly more solid focus for the plot (but still no outline).

A probably one book swashbuckler, which is likely to be set in an alternate-history Moorish Spain unless I find something I think I can write better, may or may not contain magic (I'm still trying to decide), will feature a female viewpoint character, and will in part focus on the problems of being female in that society, but will mostly just be, well, a swashbuckler.

A lot more vaguely, I've got a character I want to use that I think I'm going to stick into a straight (no magic) mystery series, but that one's barely in the 'idea' stage.

Aside from that, I've got a short story in rewrite (hopefully to go out to its first rejection soon) and... three, four more stories in the idea stage. I don't plot shorts, so it's hard to say how far they are until I really start writing.

I'll be participating in NaNoWriMo this year, probably with the third book in the 7-book series unless I depart significantly from my current plan, in which case, who knows. But I will be deliberately working to start a book Nov 1st, meaning all world-building done by then and a book I know won't be too long to finish a first draft of in a month. :)

-- Kory (Now, if I could just SELL one of these...)

jsorense
06-03-2003, 04:10:32
Kory, :thumbsup:.

Kory
04-04-2003, 18:09:24
Update: I am on chapter 7 of the sequel to the first book. I wish I were further, but March has been hell month for me (for those of you wondering where the hell I've been). I am currently also making a list of places to send a couple short stories to.

The first book is in the hands of 8 people, none of whom have gotten back to me yet. I expect to hear back from one of them in a week or so, and hopefully 3-4 of the others by not long after. A couple more I expect to not hear back from anytime soon due to life circumstances, but that's WHY one sends to as many people as possible. Sometime around the 18th-19th I'm going to start doing what I hope to be final edits on that book.

DaShi
04-04-2003, 18:18:42
Actually, I just stopped by this thread earlier wondering what you were up to.

Kory
05-04-2003, 01:21:54
For anyone else who might be curious, I remind you that I keep a livejournal that gets updated regularly with my writing process. That address again: shinkan.livejournal.com

:)

Guy
07-04-2003, 12:56:35
Excellent! It's inspiring (or shaming?) to see someone making steady progress like this. It helps to keep the fires going under myself to keep grinding ahead. Nice journal, too! :)

GP
07-04-2003, 13:20:37
Kory, you may want to check out the Analog, Asimov, and F and SF forums. They are mostly full of wannabe or actual writers.

Also, SFWA has some good articles on getting published, avoiding rippoffs, etc.

Kory
09-04-2003, 16:40:28
I don't really need more fora to not keep up on. :)

No, I hang out on a general writing site hosted by fantasy author Holly Lisle, which suits my needs in terms of writerly support as a rule. More would be overkill.

I have read through the SFWA site more than once, although honestly I suspect I will never join them as I know several authors who have been VERY unhappy with them. But they do keep a very good subsite, Writer Beware, which I've been known to point people to (which in turn I found out on Holly's site).

Guy, I owe you a review of your work, which I swear I will get to this weekend at the latest. I finally finished up the initial reading/editing on my friend's book, so that's out of the way.

-- Kory (Halfway or so through Chapter 9.)

GP
09-04-2003, 20:20:06
Velociraptor went with a vanity press didn't he?

Guy
09-04-2003, 20:59:39
No sweat, Kory. As I've said a few times, no rush.

And I would be more than happy to return the favor, should you need it.