PDA

View Full Version : New Robert Jordan book is out.

MDA
27-02-2003, 18:22:00
Wife gets message her Robert Jordan book reserve is ready at public library, goes to library the next day, there's no record of book ever being reserved. translation: Somebody else got there first, winked, and slipped the library lady a fiver.

I blame walrus.

(I'd be mad too, but the Wheel of Time has a flat. I'll finish it, someday, but I expect to be disappointed by a rapid wrap up that leaves multiple threads of the story unresolved. )

Darkstar
28-02-2003, 06:33:45
Wheel started nice but certainly ran down... too bad. I went from rabid to ho-hum to can't be bothered to continue to follow it. Tsk tsk.. Did Jordon have a contract for 10 books minimal, or what?

The Shaker
28-02-2003, 14:15:58
Gotta ditto Darkstar on this.
Eventually put it down many books into the wheel
once I got fed up of the same story every book.
If i ever pick it up again i'll have forgotton so much that i'll just go crazy, trap my head in the fridge and end up trynig to survive by licking bits of old lettuce off the bottom

Funkodrom
28-02-2003, 16:15:27
No change there then.

King_Ghidra
28-02-2003, 16:36:28
yeah but who's bottom is he licking the bits of old lettuce off? :gasmaske:

Funkodrom
28-02-2003, 16:55:03
We don't have to look far in this thread to find someone notorious for having a naked bottom.

jsorense
03-03-2003, 03:45:57
I got so tired of the whiney "hero" that I couldn't even finish the second book.
:(

Darkstar
03-03-2003, 22:07:37
Which whiney hero? They all whine to some extinct. Well, except for the Ranger, I mean, Warder. Everyone else whines for him though...

Whiney heroes were original the first few times I read Piers Anthony's Xanth series as a child. But they get old fast... It might be a bit realistic to have a few whiners around, but Jordon's seem to whine constantly... all of them. And the several times in a book reference to 'Book heroes never have to put up with this' I've just taken as his 'gotta bulk the word count out'.

I wouldn't say that each book is a repeat of the first. But after you've picked up the story musical score, you can predict each book fairly well. Especially with all the 'foretelling' and 'prophesizing' given in them. Bleah. I think Jordon got tired of the story line long ago... that's the impression I gathered as I read through the thing. It really makes me think he is trapped in a 10 or 12 book deal and just bored silly...

The beginning of the series is very nice. A full new fantasy world. But as you go through it, that enthusiasm of the writer wears out and comes through. I think part of his problem is he's already told the reader by book 3 the entire plotline too many times. Then it's just a matter of filling out all the remaining books... where's the fun in that?

He does trip up on his own character history as well, as he just doesn't seem to care enough to care.

WoT is pretty much Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion set into Middle Earth though... just enough minor twists to keep Jordan from being immediate lawyer bait.

Just impressions of mine, mind you. Your mileage may vary...

chagarra
05-03-2003, 10:30:39
I stopped buying them at seven.. Even then that was probably three many.
I will, of course, read them all, but through my local free library.
Don't even think I would buy them as an ebook. Many better reads available now..

maroule
05-03-2003, 11:03:34
I stopped at book 4 and pretty much agree with Darkstar. The fucker wasted my time and money.

Forunately I discovered a prolific french author, Pierre Bordage, the only good heroic fantasy author we have been able to produce ever (we're very lame in that litterature department). I don't think he has been translated though. He should, he's superb (he makes my think of Dan Simmons, but slightly more mystic - besides he is SF not HFantasy)

King_Ghidra
05-03-2003, 11:48:51
aha, the great intellectual Maroule is a consumer of popular sf!

that makes my day :D

maroule
05-03-2003, 11:58:47
sure, a huge one
people like Tolkien (of course) but also Jack Vance have changed my life for the better. There are many others I enjoy, Simmons, Banks, Zelazny, etc.

King_Ghidra
05-03-2003, 13:04:29
reading Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series was one of the better decisions i made last year

maroule
05-03-2003, 13:24:04
never heard of it, will check

Darkstar
05-03-2003, 17:42:28
Originally posted by maroule
I stopped at book 4 and pretty much agree with Darkstar. The fucker wasted my time and money.

Forunately I discovered a prolific french author, Pierre Bordage, the only good heroic fantasy author we have been able to produce ever (we're very lame in that litterature department). I don't think he has been translated though. He should, he's superb (he makes my think of Dan Simmons, but slightly more mystic - besides he is SF not HFantasy)

Agreeing with Darkstar is a sign you've been at CG to long, Maroule. ;)

Pierre Bordage is one of my father's favorite authors. The old man says nice things about him. I think one of his books was translated to English, but it was a horrid job according to my father. I don't recall the book title though, just my father bitching about how bad it was, or he'd have given me the translated book.

Darkstar
05-03-2003, 17:58:13
I'm been surprised for a long time that the Fem Nazi's aren't marching in protest of Jordon's writings. All his straight females are always hopelessly in love with some male (many times 2). All his bi women are just passing the time with other girls until they can get under the man they are after, and all his homosexual women are wicked evil and barely human. All his evil women that are bi or straight are in line to be 'redeemed' by the guy their little heart is focused on... although that will not actually happen, according to his story style.

And there has only been a handful of gents that preferred the company of gents to gals. Although they have been more naturally scattered across the good/selfish/evil line.

Very odd difference in characterisation there. As far as I'd read (Crown of Thorn). He needs a lot more work on making his female characters their own people. Most authors that do that, I'll excuse, but 40% or better of his books are focused on female characters and their doings, and you'd expect a bit more variety.

Of course, his male main characters are really pretty cookie cutter as well. There are actual parts of the books that he just swapped out the character names, but repeat the text otherwise, word for word. Part of that was done for humor, but the other portion seems to be for bulkage in that book. But the male 'NPCs of interest' of the story tend to be less cookie cutter, and have a lot more variety in them then the females. And a few of those male NPC types transition to main characters for a while in a few of the books.

That's part of the problem with Jordan's WoT series. In the beginning book, the story is mostly from Rand's PoV, with the odd shift out for an story interesting point. But through the series, the view shifts further and further out... but the actual characterization doesn't change. Just the names. When everyone is just the same, it really weakens the story, to me at least.

jsorense
05-03-2003, 20:02:24
Originally posted by Darkstar
There are actual parts of the books that he just swapped out the character names, but repeat the text otherwise, word for word. Part of that was done for humor, but the other portion seems to be for bulkage in that book..
DS, that bothered the shit out of me.
Currently reading "The Jesus Incident" 1979, F.Herbert and B.Ranson.

maroule
06-03-2003, 08:19:49
Originally posted by Darkstar
Agreeing with Darkstar is a sign you've been at CG to long, Maroule. ;)

Pierre Bordage is one of my father's favorite authors. The old man says nice things about him. I think one of his books was translated to English, but it was a horrid job according to my father. I don't recall the book title though, just my father bitching about how bad it was, or he'd have given me the translated book.

so your father speaks french, eh?
:hmm: he has impeccable taste but must surrender to your mother a lot...

Noisy
06-03-2003, 19:13:42
You know, I think 'The Jesus Incident' is one of the few Herbert books that I haven't read. I've seen it on the shelves a million times ...

jsorense
06-03-2003, 19:18:39
Noisy,
I think it was on the list of SciFi books that inspired some elements for SM's Alpha Centauri. It seems to be the sequal to "Destination Void."
:o

MDA
06-03-2003, 19:23:16
There were some good books on that Alpha Centauri list-
Vernor Vinge is now one of my favorites.

Darkstar
06-03-2003, 20:36:11
Originally posted by jsorense
DS, that bothered the shit out of me.

Then stay away from the Horse Clans series by Robert Adams. He does tons of that in that series as flashbacks or tales told around the fire. And those flashback/tales are quite literally just cut/copy/paste of entire chapters from previous books in the serious, and something from the same book! That can get particularly bad when that section contains a flashback/tale in itself.

The Horse Clans series itself isn't bad. Post apoc, with psionics. An interesting twist on both, really. I think it spawned the "Sword and Psionics" line of SF/Fantasy. Certainly popular enough that Steve Jackson's GURPS did that world setting as one of its first themed/from fiction settings.

Darkstar
06-03-2003, 20:38:39
Originally posted by maroule
so your father speaks french, eh?
:hmm: he has impeccable taste but must surrender to your mother a lot...

Mostly, not. He mostly *reads* French. He's a full Anglo-Saxon. His French is mostly from trying to impress American gals and electives in school. So like I said... he doesn't really speak French. ;)

RedFred
07-03-2003, 00:25:13
K_G's call on Gene Wolfe is a good one. He has some of the most original ideas of any SF writer. Free Live Free was particularly bizarre.

But I think Wolfe had about three 'Sun' series and I read them all long ago so I have trouble keeping them separate in my mind. There was the Long Sun series about travel in a large spaceship with the occupants suffering from technological de-evolution, the series that may have been the precursor to the New Sun featuring a sort of executioner for hire on a distant future earth.

Darkstar
07-03-2003, 07:09:28
Humm... how long ago was that 'Long Sun' series? Something similar sounding gave rise to Project Alpha, which turned into the Gamma World RPG.

RedFred
07-03-2003, 17:32:45
Rather than continue to guess wildly I looked it up. The New Sun series started in 1980 and several years later, 1987, Urth of the New Sun came out, which is I think the last book in the series.

The Short Sun series is a continuation of the Long Sun series, after they reach the target star system. Long Sun started in 1993 and the Short Sun seems to be ongoing (I haven't read them) starting in 1999.