View Full Version : championship manager honored

maroule
25-02-2003, 12:15:56
in the Guardian today :D
how right he is...

Saviola leaves Antic purring

Sid Lowe on Javier Saviola. Not literally, obviously

Monday February 24, 2003

As anyone who's ever played Championship Manager will tell you, Javier Saviola is the greatest player in the world ... ever! Mind you, if you trust Championship Manager so is Ade Akinbiyi. And Martin "El Loco" Palermo, the evening dress and feather boa-wearing Argentinian with a first-class degree from the University of Manchester Institute of Science & Technology.
Yet, despite a glowing computer reference, Saviola (nicknamed the 'Rabbit' because of his teeth and his scampering runs) hasn't convinced everyone in Spain - although he scored seventeen last season, he was never undisputed first-choice striker for either the nasally endowed Charly Rexach or Louis Van Gaal.

King_Ghidra
25-02-2003, 12:55:01
I love sid lowes la liga reports, i used to post excerpts here all the time. He is hilarious and he always digs up the stories involving players and managers swearing at each other too. I suppose the all time classic was his report on marca's competition to find the player with the biggest cock in la liga*

*apparently real madrid's claude makelele, who is 'nicknamed 'the ebony tripod' by his team-mates

Venom
25-02-2003, 13:01:50
That's the kind of information that's essential towards a true fans understand of the game.

King_Ghidra
25-02-2003, 13:13:42
Exactly, it's one thing to understand what's going on inside Alex Ferguson's head, but you also need to know what's going on inside Claude Makelele's shorts.

Venom
25-02-2003, 14:09:07
So you know why Claude Makelele is never part of a defensive wall during a free kick.

maroule
25-02-2003, 14:33:06
Makelele stinks in Champ Manager, maybe his tripod undermines his balance

in reality he is a decent 'water carrier', but light years away from Viera

Funkodrom
25-02-2003, 14:40:09
Most players are.

Sean
25-02-2003, 16:21:27
Any La Liga report is good, it seems. Off the top of my head, Phil Ball’s and Oliver Fowler’s are also good.

Anyway, Saviola isn’t exactly a bad player in real life, is he? It’s not as bad as when Bakayoko was the star man.

King_Ghidra
25-02-2003, 16:29:18
when i first started getting into CM, robbie keane was god (that was back in the wolves days)

but true, saviola is brilliant, he's been very good value in my champion's league fantasy team this season

maroule
25-02-2003, 16:37:07
CM can be brilliant in their 'uncovering' bright new players
in 96-97 (I think), I remember playing with teenagers like Diouf, Djibril Cissé, Ronaldinho, the ajax forward (can't remember his name, swedish for bosnian origin) and later with Saviola (he's always been good, since the 98 edition I think)

Of course, some players are great in the game but still nowhere to be seen in reality, step forward Tonton Zola Moukoko

Sean
25-02-2003, 16:40:37
Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

I think the best CM player in relation to real life ability is Tó Madeira, who rumour says is one of the scouts who put himself in the game for a laugh.