PDA

View Full Version : I just picked up Fallout 2

The Mad Monk
19-01-2002, 09:23:22
For $14 at Best Buy. Like it so far, have a few questions:

I know that NPCs in your party have a chance to level up when you do, and that they can do it a maximum of five times. how do you know when one has actually leveled up?

The sharpened spear outperforms the sledgehammer in all listed stats. Why would Sulik prefer the hammer (it pops up when the 'use best weapon' button is used)?

Does the party limit include those you have told to 'stay here until I return', or just those you have walking with you at any given moment?

Do NPCs get poisoned or radiated? If they do, do they tell you, or do they just keel over one fine day?

Thanks for any help!

Fistandantilus
19-01-2002, 11:42:01
It's been a long time so I may be wrong but:

I know that NPCs in your party have a chance to level up when you do, and that they can do it a maximum of five times. how do you know when one has actually leveled up?

You should get a text line announcing it. It doesn't happen frequently though.

The sharpened spear outperforms the sledgehammer in all listed stats. Why would Sulik prefer the hammer (it pops up when the 'use best weapon' button is used)?

Maybe Sulik is more proficient in the use of Sledgehammer.
Anyway, if you ask him he should tell you his preferences.

Does the party limit include those you have told to 'stay here until I return', or just those you have walking with you at any given moment?

IIRC, just those that are walking with you.

Do NPCs get poisoned or radiated? If they do, do they tell you, or do they just keel over one fine day?

Never had an NPC radiated, but maybe I was just lucky...

MattHiggs
19-01-2002, 14:10:42
Fallout 2 is one of the greatest games of all time!

I love the way the computer controls extra charaacters as opposed to Baldurs Gate where you control your whole party.

Also I love the combat system.

Sirius Black
19-01-2002, 18:55:23
Fallout 2 (and 1) are some of the best RPG's of all time. I really do like (like MattHiggs) how you only control one person, and the PCs you add to your party do what they want to.

The Mad Monk
21-01-2002, 05:34:00
Thanks for the reponses, guys!

One more question: how do 'levels' of radiation figure into things? How many levelsdoes it take to cause the 'serious damage' the game speaks of?

My character:
Doctor Why
Str 2, Per 8, End 3, Chr 9, Int 10, Agi 6, Luc 9
Good Natured, Gifted
Tagged Doctor, Lockpicking and Speech.

Arroyo: Temple wasn't that bad--disarmed all the traps (eventually) for lots of exp, that and talking my way past the warrior gave me my first level. Got trained in unarmed by the guy that did that, reserved the earned points, and went back into the temple. Took everything out (yes, many retreats and a few reloads), probably got more exp from constant use of healing skills (the 'limited use' counts only successful uses, apparently). Finished all other quests that could be here, moved on to

Klamath: my battle strategy gelled here: HIDE BEHIND SULIK. He dosen't appear to mind. Finished all quests here--rescueing the trapper was made easier by really lucky sneaking. Managed to pick every lock in the place, got enough money for Sulik and leather armor (not jacket, armor). Got to level four; Scout was the picked perk.

Den: a cakewalk for anyone with high speech skills. Picked up 4-5 pistols from the gangfight. Rebecca's book popped up easy, too. Went to level six, got stupid and went perk picking before
the char had recovered from excessive alcohol consumption; chose Packrat when I really wanted Healer (of course, with an original carry of 75, the +50 is convenient; it's not vital, though, since Sulik and Vic are both capable mules). Acheived 'Defender' karmic title. Expanded battle strategy to hiding behing Sulik and Vic.

Modoc: Solved the farm, rescued the kid, saved the brahmin, found the watch. Didn't finish the garden or see the giant chicken. Discovered that experimental leather jacket rendered char almost invulnerable to wild dog attacks. Scratched Vic off of list of suitable things to hide behind.

Vault City: Managed to acheive 'Liked' status (didn't get past 'accepted' in either Modoc or the Den). Did all the little quests in the courtyard. Haven't killed anyone, despite great temptation.

Gecko...tomorrow, perhaps?

Fistandantilus
22-01-2002, 00:40:38
You did all that in two days?? :eek:

I can't help with you question on radiation but IIRC you have to really make some serious mistakes to die from radiation. Plus radaway are quite common (albeit expensive).

P.S.
I like your character.
Much different from the usual 'diehard hero' everyone plays.
2 in strength means you really can't use many weapons, right?
It should be a lot of fun playing it.

The Mad Monk
22-01-2002, 08:24:27
2 in strength means I'm limited to spiked knuckles and my snapkick...:) It's not that bad--I customized everybody to "stay close to me" and "attack whomever is attacking me"; the good thing about that is that they don't go off in random directions attacking several targets at once, and I can designate the target (I found that if I attack something, it's automagically attacking me, even if I didn't connect). The bad thing is, I can't use a gun, and I have to designate the target (TAG! You're IT!). I took the assault rifle away from Vic after the first battle he used it...:eek:

It's actually been a week--I came up with those questions halfway into the Den, and the last one was inspired by the quest to rescue Smiley from the gold geckos.

...speaking of geckos, I'm in Gecko now, hooked up with Lenny, and spoke to...THE BRAIN.

Was the Raat Keeng Binky?

I like my character, too. After reading that "almost any character can win the game", I decided to try a distinctly oddball character. Just got to level nine, found that taking Buffite when you level up won't give extra hps, but will widen your selection of perks. Wandered around a bit with the Empathy perk, just to see what it was like--interesting, but I don't think I'll keep it.

Lots of fun so far!

MattHiggs
22-01-2002, 12:19:14
Plus... You've gotta love the intro music!

Sirius Black
22-01-2002, 19:56:38
The best perk, I think, is the one that tells you things about others. Some kind of Peceptiveness or something, I can't remember the name. But it is way cool to focus on an enemy and get how much ammo his gun still has :D

MDA
23-01-2002, 14:49:52
Louis Armstrong - A Kiss to Build a Dream On - a little scratchy like it was played off vinyl. :)