PDA

View Full Version : Why go to concerts that don't rock?

paiktis22
13-02-2003, 17:43:20
If you went to the Ramones, you knew before hand that you'd leave a sweating, trembling exhausted rug of yourself with the silliest of smile of satisfaction on your face.

Going to something that isn't "rock" (Cure sping to mind which I like in records but not live) is like going to the boring serenity of the church with only a glimpse of the mystisism.

My quick point is what's the use in going to concerts in which you will not jump up and down like a maniac?

Did any of you ever get a "lighter moment calm mystification" in any of the "non rock" concerts?

My experience (or taste) has led to believe that those bands are best listened to from your stereo.

?

paiktis22
13-02-2003, 17:53:04
hmm or maybe the "mesmerizing" aspect of music is covered for me by indigenous artists....

Scabrous Birdseed
13-02-2003, 18:00:15
The Cure are a really shitty example- they're really bad live. You need to go to someone who knows how to interact with and engage a crowd, Neil Young or Bruce Springsteen or something, and I guarantee you it'll outstrip anything you've ever felt for a record.

If I want to bounce around I may as well do it in a disco...

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-02-2003, 18:16:52
The best concert I ever went to was American Music Club. At the end of the set, the power had been cut but Mark Eitzel kept on singing to his guitar and 300 people were dead silent and straining forwards to catch every word.

Magical. No jumping around at all.

Eklektikos
13-02-2003, 18:20:18
Depends on the band, for me. Some bands I will go to see live for the mosh value of their music, but would never waste my time listening to on record. Others are inventive and interesting enough to warrant a place in my CD collection as well as being great to jump around to. There are also bands or musicians who are not "rock" as you put it, but have a very powerful live presence or energy that makes the music seem even more exciting or moving than it did when recorded.

I have to say that the gigs I tend to remember as particularly special are almost without exception those where I've been too fascinated by the action on stage to want to risk missing anything by bouncing about like a madman - including bands whose music would otherwise have been very suitable for doing so.

paiktis22
13-02-2003, 18:20:41
Originally posted by Scabrous Birdseed
If I want to bounce around I may as well do it in a disco...

Not a chance with the kind of shit they're playing there :)

I'd guess going to Billy Brag (sp?) might work for me...

there are tons of these kind of artists around here. (not in the sence of political orientation only but of the whole feeling of it)

Lazarus and the Gimp
13-02-2003, 20:15:04
Billy Bragg is a great live act.