PDA

View Full Version : P. Hamilton - Reality Dysfunction:Emergence

MDA
12-02-2003, 18:58:37
What a slog - I hope its just because he spent most of the book setting the backdrop and introducing characters - I'm a little disturbed by the fact that he killed off a lot of the ones he developed before the first book ended.

Will read rest of series regardless, if only to learn more about how his version of the universe "works". The "enemy" is not the carrot it should be for maintaining interest. Lead character needs to keep it in his pants - sex every 100 pages was fine when I was 13, but I don't find it as interesting to READ about nowadays.:smoke:
So I guess its the world(s)/ culture (which I suppose the free love is a part of, but I get the point already), and not the plot/characters I like about the book. Odd.

moomin
12-02-2003, 21:15:33
I hated the triology - in fact gave up after book two. The world building is good, there are some nifty ideas and a shitload of modern SF apparelia but the gratitious sex and the utterly stupid central plot device are such turn-offs.

Hamilton's anthology of short stories set in the Night's Dawn universe, entitled _A Second Chance at Eden_ is much better. I always felt the Edenists where the most interesting concept in that particular setting.

Goob
14-02-2003, 22:25:52
I enjoyed the Night's Dawn Trilogy as a whole, some parts dragged but it kept my attention. (I will agree about the Edenist's)

I will say that if you did not like Emergence you very well may not find Expansion that much better. If I remember correctly they pick up more towards the end. Though I for one did like Emergence quite a bit.

RedFred
15-02-2003, 07:19:57
I don't usually go for Space Opera but I liked the series. It came out over here as six paperbacks, each one seemed progressively better than the last.

Not his best work though. The Mindstar series was better as were a couple of more recent stand alone novels.

MDA
18-02-2003, 20:25:57
I'll throw in a vote for the Edenists, too. They sound like the inspiration for a Moo3 race. Organically grown starships.

Sounds like I picked the wrong trilogy. Maybe I'll start another one next.