PDA

View Full Version : Old games that would be better than new games if they had the same stuff.

Shining1
08-02-2003, 02:35:21
Played the original Diablo the other week, and found it was actually still really good. If it had a few of the additions that Diablo2 had (like 800*640 resolution, component weapons/armor animations, hack resistant online play, and mana that recharges automatically) it would eat Diablo2 alive.

It's the whole design of the game that makes the difference. Instead of having you play through the first two acts with nary a threat (Diablo2), Diablo puts you in danger straight away, if you aren't cautious and smart. And not merely because you met a Boss with multishot lightning enchant, it's the ordinary monsters that are dangerous.

Also, there's no running around huge outside areas getting lost and bored. The massive size of Diablo2 really achieves very little. In fact it detracts from the gameplay quite a lot - Diablo is purely about monster killing, and the more spread out the monsters are, the worse it is.

I'm sure there's a lot of other games that fit into this idea. I haven't ever found a puzzle game to match Lemmings or a shooter that had the concentrated fear and action of Doom2.

MattHiggs
08-02-2003, 03:29:18
Played Diablo 2, hate hack and slash. Diablo doesn't sound appealing.

Darkstar
08-02-2003, 06:13:15
MoO1 is much better, strategicly, then MoO2. MoO2 is alright, but just doesn't have the pure balance of options for game play.

Asher
08-02-2003, 08:21:16
800*640
Yeah, 800*600 in Diablo II is a fucking technologal breakthrough.

Go Blizzard! You know what you're doing! YEAH!

chagarra
08-02-2003, 10:48:35
I have an original version of Empire Deluxe that I dust off ocasionally.
But that looks like being upgraded now that the rights have just been brought.

Mightytree
08-02-2003, 11:04:43
Heh, Ned knows he can always bait me when he's talking about Diablo. :D

So monsters are spread too thin in Diablo 2? Well, you can't run in Diablo 1 so the frequency of you meeting any is just the same in both games. Outside worlds are boring? You know, if I had played Diablo1 for two years I'd probably think dungeons only are pretty boring.

D1 is probably more challenging than D2, I agree with that. But besides that your argument that D1 would be so much better than D2 if it was more like D2 is strange indeed. :) When I saw the topic I thought 'stuff' was mainly about graphics and not about those whole game elements that make games better than their predecessors.

I see you deliberately left out D2's skill system. Why do you think would D1 without such a system be better than D1 with one? You could argue that it's not balanced and I agree. But AFAIK D1 even without it was horribly unbalanced. Also a skill system increases replayability big time.

About the actual topic ...

What first comes to mind are graphic adventures like Monkey Island or Indiana Jones. They are better even without the new stuff, simply because there aren't any nowadays. The Ultima Underworlds would be great today if they had better graphics. I can't really think of more now, maybe later. :)

LadyRachel
08-02-2003, 11:37:18
Originally posted by Shining1
Played the original Diablo the other week, and found it was actually still really good. If it had a few of the additions that Diablo2 had (like 800*640 resolution, component weapons/armor animations, hack resistant online play, and mana that recharges automatically) it would eat Diablo2 alive.

RUN KEY.

Shining1
08-02-2003, 11:43:48
MT: Mostly I agree, but:
Also a skill system increases replayability big time.

Except it doesn't really, since everyone just chooses the best (least balanced) skills and runs though the most XP heavy part of the game over and over looking for good items. D2 has devolved into cow runs, meph runs, bloody foothills leeching and pindle bots.

Tell me, how many times did you WW through the Chaos Santuary leveling up and looking for that ultimate +200% Lance with 30%IAS?

Mightytree
08-02-2003, 12:49:56
Ned,

First of all, I don't WW in Chaos Sanctuary. I'm not stupid. :D

Second, why do you care what other people do? I'm not even talking about multiplayer. The same could be said if D2 was SP only. That said, even if you only chose the good skills, there's still a lot more replayability in D2 than there's in D1. Every class in D2 has at least two variants that are worth checking out IMHO.

Resource Consumer
08-02-2003, 12:54:24
Diablo 2 sucks.

There, bet you knew I'd say that.:D

Scabrous Birdseed
09-02-2003, 12:53:46
Diablo, what an awful game. Who came up with the idiotic idea of making a second-rate console-style RPG and then having it controlled by THE MOUSE? Insanity.

Resource Consumer
09-02-2003, 15:06:31
wasn't me;)

The Mad Monk
09-02-2003, 16:59:06
Originally posted by Shining1
MT: Mostly I agree, but:

Except it doesn't really, since everyone just chooses the best (least balanced) skills and runs though the most XP heavy part of the game over and over looking for good items. D2 has devolved into cow runs, meph runs, bloody foothills leeching and pindle bots.

My Spearazon, Throwing Barb, Inferno Sorcie and Bowling Druid all disagree.