PDA

View Full Version : Pro Evolution Soccer Review by King_Ghidra

Nav
15-01-2002, 17:33:34
Review is here: http://www.counterglow.net/article.php?id=proevosoccer

Enjoy!

Funkodrom
15-01-2002, 18:28:26
Excellent review. Basically it is football.

Beta1
15-01-2002, 18:32:00
Well with a name like pro evolution soccer I would be suprised if it was cricket.

That would be one hell of an evolution.

WTF is the evolution bit in the title for? Is your team made up of single cell amoebe in level1 and you progress through monkeys to man and then eventtually some space odessey style next step?

amoebe football, now theres an idea.

Funkodrom
15-01-2002, 18:46:46
The series has gone:

International Superstar Soccer
International Superstar Soccer Professional
ISS Pro Evolution
ISS Pro Evolution 2
Pro Evolution Soccer.

Don't ask me why. As far as I know in Japan it's been Winning Eleven 1 - 5

Venom
15-01-2002, 19:35:04
The Japs have no flair for naming things.

MDA
15-01-2002, 20:55:48
www.engrish.com

they have flair, if you learn to appreciate it :)

sean—temp
15-01-2002, 22:54:52
And there was the U-21 Championship version of Winning Eleven, IIRC.

Anyway, who needs encouragement to look for bargains? You can build a decent squad more quickly and it’s more satisfying winning the league with Tommasson and Cardoso up front than Batistuta and Pele.

King_Ghidra
16-01-2002, 09:23:56
a couple of things i omitted from the review that i remembered as i was playing last night:

1) The computer is a lot harder opponent IMHO. It keeps the ball a lot better, and it has more defensive savvy (in particular it marks your runners a lot better i found). I don't think it is so great going forwards, by comparison.

2) i think the strikers have greatly increased in importance and power within the game. It is much easier in PES to simply take a quick player and outrun the defence than it used to be (mainly because in evo 2 players running with the ball were unrealistically slow). Also I think the long range shots with the best players are more effective. So one good striker can almost make a team if you play to their strengths, certainly more so than in the evo series.

Funkodrom
16-01-2002, 10:15:45
One super striker can be as important to a team as they are in real life. Look at England with or without Owen for instance.

Being able to turn defenders is great but fast defenders and those with good reactions can still get to them.

The computer is harder. It is extremely good at set pieces.

Haven't played any PES since I played you last time you were round. :(

King_Ghidra
16-01-2002, 11:54:27
i'll come round for another session sometime then :)

what a shame you can't take someone on over the internet :gotit:

Funkodrom
16-01-2002, 12:04:31
Problem is getting TV time and someone to play rather than anything else.

sean—temp
16-01-2002, 21:58:43
Hmm? Fast forwards weren’t that good in Pro Evo 2? They were too good, IMHO. Even on hard with a 19 speed player up front you can score almost at will. If the fast forwards are better in this version it’s going to be bleedin’ dull. At least in Pro Evo 2 technique and balance were pretty noticeable.

Funkodrom
17-01-2002, 09:45:50
Difference now is that the defenders actually mark the fast forwards and cover their runs. It's a LOT harder to score, turning a defender with your back to goal is pretty much essential and a very good addition to the game.

I'm not sure I agree with the fast forwards being easier to get away from the defence... if you manage to get into the clear it's easier but actually getting to the position to be able to do that is a lot harder. Chips are also less accurate than they used to be so if you see the keeper coming out the chip isn't always the easy goal it used to be.

sean—temp
18-01-2002, 23:07:14
Is that second paragraph about PES or ISSPE2?

Funkodrom
21-01-2002, 09:35:49
Well... both I suppose. ISSPE2 was was an improvement on ISSPE in both those areas and PES is an improvement on ISSPE2 in both areas.