PDA

View Full Version : Free Game of the Week - Focus

Snapcase
16-01-2003, 17:16:46
This time it\'s another proper boardgame, to the extent that it\'s playable by two players on an equal basis and has, like, tiles moving about on a board.

It\'s also very difficult. On the default setting it took me ages to finally beat the computer, and even now I can only win about once every ten times. The AI would in fact be exceptional were it not for the fact that it\'s possibly the slowest one ever seen in a freeware game, literally taking hours if you set it to level ten (not recommended!).

Excellent, simple premise, easy to get into, loadsa tactical stuff you can do, each game is different, marvellous. Originally by Sid Sackson, the guy who created Diplomacy and stuff.

http://www.defaultsoft.com/focus/focus.html#Download

MoSe
16-01-2003, 18:23:49
FOCUS!

I only knew it from a Boardgames Book, and once used checkers pieces and a cardboard mask to play a few tests with a friend, but he was not hooked and found no other interested opponents....

Scabrous Birdseed
16-01-2003, 18:32:31
This is a fully passable version. Go for it!

Darkstar
17-01-2003, 06:51:03
No it isn't. It has a bug. Which is WHY the computer is so hard to beat. It is getting extra reserve pieces, when sometime you were supposed to get the reserve piece.

And it is derivitive. If the computer didn't cheat (due to the bug), it would be easy to beat.

Scabrous Birdseed
17-01-2003, 14:36:25
It does? Not that I've noticed.