PDA

View Full Version : SimCity4 shipped on Jan 9, 2002

Darkstar
13-01-2003, 15:20:19
Hello gang! Long time no update!
I pre-ordered SimCity4 after the New Year. I have been busy in real life with other things, so I missed the email informing me that EBGames.com had shipped this to me on the 9th. The shipper just dropped it off at my house. Iím going to enjoy playing with it, and if you are interested in the latest of this classic gaming line, you should be able to find it in stores now. Enjoy.

Venom
13-01-2003, 15:24:11
Oooohhhh now you must write a review.

Darkstar
13-01-2003, 15:29:15
I've got the time. But the codiene may affect my views of what I play. MM.... Codiene.

Venom
13-01-2003, 16:29:23
Considering I've been drunk during every review I've ever written, you should do fine.

Resource Consumer
13-01-2003, 16:49:55
Does anyone still play SIm City - other than Darkstar?

Darkstar
13-01-2003, 16:57:40
Glonk!

Venom
13-01-2003, 17:52:10
I last played SimCity 3000 about 6 months ago.

Deacon
13-01-2003, 21:19:56
I decided to skip 3000 and stopped playing for a while, but I might try 4 if it's anything like 2000.

Asher
13-01-2003, 21:22:42
The fucking thing still won't run for me and a bunch of other people, and I have NO idea why.

I think it's the stupid fucking Safedisk crap.

Asher
13-01-2003, 21:31:44
Nevermind, I am the man!

It was SafeDisc.

I turned on DaemonTool's SafeDisc emulator and it works just great now.

Debaser
13-01-2003, 21:32:33
Sim City 2000 is one of the 3 games I own.

BoltyBoy
13-01-2003, 22:49:00
I played SimCity errr whatever came after the original. Does SC4000 do multiplayer? Dunno how that'd work.

Does it play as good as the screenshots look? I glimpsed at some screens a few weeks ago and just though they looked like the previous title too much, but on closer inspection it looks mighty fine.

Asher
13-01-2003, 23:03:55
It looks a lot better than the other games.

Nav
15-01-2003, 21:51:45
Any thoughts on the game so far? (I notice Darkstar's disappeared)

Darkstar
17-01-2003, 06:38:26
Yeah...

They should have kept it for another 6 months...
It is going to aggravate the SimCity fan. Seriously. And you know it right off...

See... you now make up all your surrounding/neighboring cities, right? You can hook them together and play each one, developing it like you like. Cool, right? Well, there is no way to generate a random play area. There are tools to build regions, but they are lacking in making regions QUICKLY or EASILY. Think one step less aggravating to build a region compared to making a map in SMAC.

Ok... that's a big, big issue. Maxis is planning on having a 'Region' exchange, of course. And offering new regions. There is just enough regions in the installation to tide over the slower players. Then... deinstall, clean out left over files, reinstall to get back those greatly detailed regions that came with your game. Bad move.

Ok... on the play level... another thing that will aggravate mayors, new and especially old... zones stick in their own base level roads. This screws you totally... zoning behavior forces someone that cares the slightest about their road network to create their roads themselves, and zone, dezone, rezone, repeat in tiny chunks until the zone is layed in how you wanted it. Ugh.

Other then that? Well... it plays like SimCity 3500. They did drop the requirement to manually wire every block... you just need to run power between somewhat seperated blocks of zones. Being seperated by a road doesn't count as being seperated for powering purposes.

Graphics are nicer. There is no low density industry. That is now farming. Water goes further, wind goes further... minor things like that. It is nice watching the sims wander about done on the super zoomed level. And they are as whiny as ever.

I'd recommend it to anyone that likes SimCity line. I can see a few tweaks that will be coming along in a patch or enhancement, to address things (especially with region editting).

Nav
17-01-2003, 09:32:36
I read the review on Gamespot. They had a quite a few negative comments as well, including not being able to turn off disasters.

Makes me not want to buy it. Another commercial exploitation by EA.

fp
20-01-2003, 00:27:13
Originally posted by Darkstar

Ok... on the play level... another thing that will aggravate mayors, new and especially old... zones stick in their own base level roads. This screws you totally... zoning behavior forces someone that cares the slightest about their road network to create their roads themselves, and zone, dezone, rezone, repeat in tiny chunks until the zone is layed in how you wanted it. Ugh.

That sounds daft