PDA

View Full Version : Why I like "Hold On, I'm Coming" by Sam and Dave - The Emotional Version

Scabrous Birdseed
09-01-2003, 23:57:05
Some Background: "Hold On, I'm Coming" is a 1965 song, written by Isaac Hayes and David porter and produced by the same duo. It's backed by Booker T and the MGs, and the Memphis Horns, and features Sam Moore and Dave Prater on lead vocals. Sam sings the first verse, the repeat of it and backing vocals on Dave's stuff, Dave the second verse and the sort of extended bit during the final repeats of the chorus. They both sing the chorus, and half of the bridge each. In the emotional review below I'll use the terms "verse", "bridge" and "chorus", mainly 'cause I don't fancy going through the song with a stop watch and saying stuff like "the bit between 2:46 and 3:01 is really fast and happy..." etc.

The Review: Already at the start, you know this one's gonna hit you hard.

The trumpet that starts uss off has an incredible amount of energy, and yet seems to maintain a certain cool, as if it knows it's going to build up to something much greater. There's a bit coming out from the guitar that just feels like it's just rising and rising- where will it go from this already brisk pace?

The singer comes in, almost rushing in, eager to get going. He matter-of factly announces he'll save you if you're in trouble- but then his voice breaks into this incredible underworldy growl when he says certain words and you get a tingling sensiation of absolute pure joy. It's as if he's living in spiritual certainty that he'll come to save you, as if he exhorts you to share his belief, get swept away in the rising, hypnotic tide of the guitar in the background.

Then the chorus kicks in, and you're surrounded by a mesmerising buzz and there are suddenly two singers, singing together yet appart. Many instruments surround you, driving you onwards. Hold On, I'm Coming!

The next verse is slower*, more deliberate and with a different, less spiritual singer. The first man growls encouragement in the background, to almost greater effect than when he sung himself, and the second chorus is impossibly even more full of instruments and sounds than the first.

Before the final push, for you know in your heart one will unavoidably come, the song turns tender for a moment, but just as primal- only more sexual. "Look to me for satisfaction" says the second singer. Then the first singer, the heavenly growler, comes in and pushes the two together, sexuality rising to spirituality. Rowr!

After a brief but utterly cool guitar solo acommpanied by rising horns as if to mark an infinate buildup, it starts all over again, with the trumpets then the first verse, but this time it all seems more, more energetic, more growly, more gorgeous. The final chorus is the largest moment yet- the entire orchestra joining together in a grand celetial scream.

And then they up it a notch AGAIN. The trumpet, reigning supreme like in the beginning, and the voice compete to outdo each other in the energy terms and fit each other perfectly. The voice (singer two) becomes a mere pleading, with the growling pastor beseeching, beseeching you to hold on. With that final release of pure hypnotic energy, the song ends.

That's it. There is no subtlety. It's just an intensely rhythmical, hypnotic track which manages to build up to enormous hieghts of spiritual and emotional energy. A real kick.

*By accident. The Stax studio recorded in almost live surroundings- the take was emotionally right so they kept it. Such spontaneity is certainly missing from many more recent recordings.

Mightytree
10-01-2003, 00:10:38
Oh my, a song Snapcase likes ... I just had to download it. And guess what ...

It's actually pretty good. I like it. :)

Surprise. :D

Funkodrom
10-01-2003, 09:23:25
I think that's the best thing I've read by Snapcase. :D

protein
10-01-2003, 09:54:05
Hold on, I'm gonna cum.

Mightytree
10-01-2003, 12:24:37
Originally posted by Funkodrom
I think that's the best thing I've read by Snapcase. :D

It's the first thing I actually understood. :D

Funkodrom
10-01-2003, 12:27:30
That's why it's the best thing he's written. :D

MattHiggs
10-01-2003, 13:37:14
He uses the term energy far too much.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-01-2003, 15:07:17
I hate the review too. It's crap, one-track and lacks any kind of depth.

Funkodrom
10-01-2003, 15:08:46
You hate it because it's completely lacking in pretentious-sounding technical bullshit.

Scabrous Birdseed
10-01-2003, 15:11:37
True. I'm after a certain colloquial/overtechnical contrast in my review style, to give it a bit of a humorous edge. This one isn't even faintly funny.

Funkodrom
10-01-2003, 18:51:42
Those other ones are supposed to be funny?

It might not be funny but you see how it made Mightytree, who normally argues with you about whatever you say, go out and download it and like the song?

Mightytree
10-01-2003, 19:37:10
I didn't really download it because of the review. I downloaded it because this is the first time I've seen Snapcase say he likes a certain song/band. And I was just curious what it is. :D

Mightytree
10-01-2003, 19:44:40
But yes, I'd certainly take what Snapcase says about music more serious if his reviews were like this.

Scabrous Birdseed
11-01-2003, 01:02:00
You're practically prompting me to do a proper review of the song the way I'd want to do it, without ridiculous constraints.

It's late now, though. Expect one tomorrow.

Debaser
11-01-2003, 01:15:38
Snappy, don't pander to these fools, they're just talking shit.

Mightytree
11-01-2003, 01:26:02
:D :lol:

Debaser
11-01-2003, 01:45:23
This is the internet generation we're talking about (and to). Their warped by MTv minds can't get their heads around a new idea or unconformist point of view. In an infinate sea of mediocrity Snappy dares to have a unique perspective. I say Respec' to that.

Funkodrom
11-01-2003, 14:31:11
I agree.

Still is funny arguing with him. :)