PDA

View Full Version : Another day in A

Funkodrom
11-01-2002, 10:41:21
I saw A's new video Nothing on MTV2 last night. Very disappointing. Where have the funny, catchy, cheeky, sample wielding british pop punk band gone? Someone replaced them with a generic Nu-Metal band. :( Good riff but, you need more than that. Their lyrics are normally really good. These were just nothing.

I was really looking forward to their album, hopefully the rest of the stuff at least bears some relation to what they used to do. Even with the musical change, which is fair enough even though cynically I tend to assume it's for commercial reasons, it seems bizarre that they could go from lyrically superb to lyrically mediocre in such a short time.

*End Is Forever*
11-01-2002, 18:14:58
Are you going to watch them live?

Funkodrom
12-01-2002, 12:32:34
I know some people going to see them in Bristol, might go to that. They are, unbelievably, going to play in Reading too.

*End Is Forever*
12-01-2002, 18:43:25
You can go watch them "fuck shit up". :lol:

They're not white-trash enough to be nu-metal.

Funkodrom
12-01-2002, 19:25:30
It's what the song sounds like.

*End Is Forever*
13-01-2002, 02:01:34
Sadly I'm without MTV2 for another 9 weeks... :(

Funkodrom
14-01-2002, 09:21:27
It's OK, by the time you get back to it they might have something different to watch on there.

Funkodrom
21-01-2002, 12:53:03
If you go to a-communication.com you can sign up to the mailing list and listen to the song.

Got to admit it's growing on me a bit.

*End Is Forever*
21-01-2002, 14:42:40
Might do a bit later when there's less people on the network. And I've got some headphones with me. :)

Author's note: the other night I got this thing to download a 35 megabyte file in 15 seconds or so.

Provost Harrison
25-02-2002, 23:39:10
I was alarmed when I crawled out of bed on Saturday morning to turn on the TV and see A there on cd:uk. That is a tell-tale sympton of selling out, coupled with their switch to a 'nu metal' sound. Looks like they are in it for the money now people :mad:

Funkodrom
26-02-2002, 09:32:56
I've been thinking about this a lot and listening to the previous albums. Having only heard the single from the new album it's hard to tell but this does sound a bit like a progression from what they were doing before. How Ace Are Buildings is very punky, A vs Monkey Kong less so. The way Jason Perry puts it is that when they got their first album deal all he had to write about was how cool it was being in a band. Now he's older and has a lot more to write about. The band were close to splitting up after Monkey Kong. They decided to put everything into one last go at making a really great album and get themselves taken seriously rather than being the joke band that everyone perceived them to be, something I can relate to with The Unholy to some extent. So now they have some airplay and record company backing. *shrug* I dunno, the whole 'selling out' thing is a dubious concept at the best of times. I was disappointed when I heard the song at first but now it's growing on me a lot.

*End Is Forever*
28-02-2002, 01:34:05
Well, Hi-Fi Serious got a cracking review in this week's Kerrang... and the song on the free CD is considerably more punky than Nothing.