PDA

View Full Version : The Libertines and Miss Black America

Mr. Bas
07-01-2003, 10:11:20
Are they any good? And what kind of music do they play anyway?

Debaser
07-01-2003, 11:30:37
They are both excellent.

The Libertines play mid-90's style britpop-esque indie. That description doesn't really do them justice though because they are really really good.

Miss Black America have been mentioned on here before (In fact I believe one of the free mp3's of the week was a MBA song). They broke up a while ago but are now back with a new line up so it would be interesting to see if their style has changed at all. Previously they were kind of indie/punk/metal. Their singer seemed to be a typical 80's slightly goth Smiths fan with pseudo-political lyrics about the alienation of young people, fuck the government, blah blah blah. Their old guitarist played a mixture of pretty heavy riffs, delicate appegios (and other generic quiet bits) and some crazy crazy sound effects which I don't have a clue how he made. He was awsome. The drummer and bassist did what bassists and drummers do. They are really good.

Mr. Bas
07-01-2003, 11:44:01
Yeah, I remember Mike liked MBA. They'll both play live here in Groningen on some music festival this thursday/friday, but I still have to decide which bands I'm going to see. There are a bunch of other bands who I'd like to see, and there's a somewhat conflicting schedule. But they sound interesting, anyway.

*End Is Forever*
07-01-2003, 13:36:31
The Libertines have been in my house. My housemate's sister knows them. She's probably slept with at least one of them too.

jeromeo
12-01-2003, 21:28:48
first time i heard MBA was on a rocksound cd, i thought it was pretty good

Vincent
12-01-2003, 21:33:09
Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
She's probably slept with at least one of them too. What was it like?

Lazarus and the Gimp
12-01-2003, 21:49:48
The Libertines have been in my house. My housemate's sister knows them. She's probably slept with at least one of them too.

She'd be well-advised to get a blood test as they're strongly reputed to be ex-rent boys.

*End Is Forever*
13-01-2003, 01:27:08
Possibly.

I might be seeing Miss Black America next month. They're about to embark on a huge tour supporting north-west next-big-things Kinesis, and as they're coming to York (and no-one comes to York) someone from the paper will be dispatched to watch them.

Funkodrom
13-01-2003, 09:14:13
Dunno what they are like with the new lineup but I really liked them at Reading.

jeromeo
26-01-2003, 13:43:09
I might be seeing Miss Black America next month. They're about to embark on a huge tour supporting north-west next-big-things Kinesis, and as they're coming to York (and no-one comes to York) someone from the paper will be dispatched to watch them.

and with Reuben I do believe

Scabrous Birdseed
26-01-2003, 15:32:36
I was positively surprised when I heard The Libertines' album the other day- very immediate, very messy and very rich in ideas. I'll buy it given the chance.